Server error 401: Not authorized to post in this site" with WP contributer account

• Hey

I use WLW to post to my Wordpress. I created a new "Contributor" account, and tried to post from it by WLW. I was given:

Blog Server Error

Server error 401 occured
    You are not authorized to post in this website

This, despite the fact that this same user can post (submit for review) from the normal browser-based wordpress post

I made sure the login credintials are correct, and that the Blog Capabilities in WLW of this blog am trying to post to (self-hosted) has the "post draft to server" value available (appears as Yes).

I use Wordpress plugin "Capabilitiy Manager", and there too, the role "edit posts" for "ctonributer" is checked, as well as "read", and "delete posts".

What is wrong ?

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:50 AM

All replies

• First,
    This is an OLD forum for Windows Live Writer; Microsoft will be shutting it down soon [to be read only]... But there's a NEW forum, with more activity and more Microsoft techs working it. I suggest you go there and resubmit your inquiry there...

Here's the URL:

ensure your running the latest version... The beta 2011.

If not already, download the beta...

lastly, refresh your theme with Windows Live Writer and see if that helps.

In that order...

Just trying to help...

Until next time,

Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Thank you.. you are still a great person :)

Why do MS not just lock these forums for new posts, and whenever a new post is attempted to be made, the user is told and forwarded to the new forums?

Why do MS not inform the users about the the new beta versions? you may say it is still beta, and I say MS should inform the users, and whoever wants to upgrade, he can do it 

I did not understand your point of refreshing the theme. You mean from my blog's settings in WLW ?

I am currently downloading the new versions to see. I wish all the feedback and suggestions I I proposed were implemented to the new version

Thanx again warmly :)

Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Yes. Refresh your theme in Windows Live Writer.

Microsoft has put a little blurp in the forum about it's going to be shut down, but it's not uber obvious- I'm just trying to help out users.

I hope you have a nice day

Until next time,

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:31 AM