Installing a 500GB Drive From Fusion Server to HP MSS RRS feed

• Question

• A few years ago I bought a Maxtor Fusion server that never panned out to be what I seeking.  My question is if I take out the drive and stick it into the HP MSS it will accept it format it to WHS requirements?

• Edited by JSHollis Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:48 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:47 PM

Answers

• You may need to repartition the drive before Windows Home Server will use it, depending on exactly how the Maxtor device handled it. And if nothing else works, you can always clean the disk off completely using the diskpart command line utility. Be careful if you need to use diskpart; there's no safety net.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:26 PM

All replies

• You may need to repartition the drive before Windows Home Server will use it, depending on exactly how the Maxtor device handled it. And if nothing else works, you can always clean the disk off completely using the diskpart command line utility. Be careful if you need to use diskpart; there's no safety net.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:26 PM
  • What do you mean by safety net?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:36 PM
  • I mean that if you use the right series of commands, you will wipe your system drive. (With no confirmation prompts, becuase the diskpart command line utility doesn't ask for confirmation.) In this case, the "right" set of commands differs by exactly one character from the "wrong" set. So be careful.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:09 PM
  • You find a description how to clean a drive for reusing it in Windows Home Server in the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:29 PM