MTA Worth it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am a student about six months from obtaining my degree in software engineering from the University of Phoenix.  I am looking to start moving into preparing for certifications to accompany my degree.  I have been following the learning path for the 98-361 exam (Software Development Fundamentals) for about a week and I am beginning to wonder if it will be worth it.  I intend to progress further, following the suggested roadmap, but I wonder about the costs associated with following the roadmap to the "T".  To be honest, I do not have a preference between windows development or web development and I will go with whichever will provide me with a better chance of getting a job.       

My question to those of you with some experience with certifications and employement in the IT world is whether or not the MTA is worth it or should I skip ahead to the MCTS level exams.   

Slightly off topic here, but does anyone have any experience with http://www.amazon.com/98-361-Software-Development-Fundamentals-Microsoft/dp/047088911X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323224808&sr=8-1 ?  I can't find any reviews on the book anywhere and have been debating on purchasing it to suppliment the MSDN site and what I have learned in my classes so far.  Essentially, making the purchase of the book then the sample tests are what have brought me here to ask you all for your opinion.

Thanks for any insight.  It is appreciated

Jason Sgalla 

• Edited by Sgalla1 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Jason, you can skip MTA and start MCTS directly, there is no restriction all on you, just matter is that, in some area of exam, the MCTS exam has prerequisite exam which might be part of MTA. Can you confirm, in which area are you trying to give exam, (SQL server, Web development, window devlopment, SharePoint ,Dynamics ,etc..... ?)
    Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

MTAs are beginner exams for students. They are not that hard (so don't buy a book for that).

I would also recommend to go directly to a MCTS exam (because MTAs are pretty new and nobody knows that exam). From what I know MCTS exams have no dependencies to MTA exams.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Jason, you can skip MTA and start MCTS directly, there is no restriction all on you, just matter is that, in some area of exam, the MCTS exam has prerequisite exam which might be part of MTA. Can you confirm, in which area are you trying to give exam, (SQL server, Web development, window devlopment, SharePoint ,Dynamics ,etc..... ?)
    Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

MTAs are beginner exams for students. They are not that hard (so don't buy a book for that).

I would also recommend to go directly to a MCTS exam (because MTAs are pretty new and nobody knows that exam). From what I know MCTS exams have no dependencies to MTA exams.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:54 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm torn between Windows development and Web development right now.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Thank you for the information.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 6:08 PM