Hard drive issues RRS feed

• Question

• I just replaced the MOBO on my WHS and I am having issues getting the old HHD's to be recognized. Two of the four showed up just fine.

1.     One shows up but is not recognized as one of the old drives. So how do I force WHS to recognize it as the proper drive?

2.     The other simply is not picked up by Windows as existing (doesn’t show up in device manager). So, how do I get Windows to see the drive?

I tried doing a search and was unable to find anything applicable to my issues. I’ve already made sure the cables are connected and have even moved the drives around to see if I had a bad cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Friday, July 24, 2009 11:52 PM

Answers

• It seems the main problem was operator error in that I accedentally reformated the HHD. Fortunatly the reformat just deleted the file structure so that it was not hard to recover the data using a recovery program, it just ended up being a lot of headaches.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:46 PM

All replies

• I just replaced the MOBO on my WHS and I am having issues getting the old HHD's to be recognized. Two of the four showed up just fine.

One shows up but is not recognized as one of the old drives. So how do I force WHS to recognize it as the proper drive?

The other simply is not picked up by Windows as existing (doesn’t show up in device manager). So, how do I get Windows to see the drive?

I tried doing a search and was unable to find anything applicable to my issues. I’ve already made sure the cables are connected and have even moved the drives around to see if I had a bad cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Did you do a Server Reinstallation after replacing the mobo?  If so, did you see all 4 drives in the Load Additional Drivers Screen?
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:12 AM
  • I didn't do a reinstallation but I did go into begining of it and they did not show up. When I started up the machine from the frist time after the rebuild it activated windows. I'm assuming that since it did that I do not need to do a reinstall. I have tried the drives on my Vista machine. They show up in Device Manager but not My Computer.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:29 AM
  • I didn't do a reinstallation but I did go into begining of it and they did not show up.  When I started up the machine from the frist time after the rebuild it activated windows. I'm assuming that since it did that I do not need to do a reinstall. I have tried the drives on my Vista machine. They show up in Device Manager but not My Computer.

In that case, I would suggest you try a Server Reinstallation (and make sure all of your drives show up in the Load Additional Drivers Screen before proceeding with the reinstallation).
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Okay, I'm attempting to do that and 3 of 4 drives show up. If I have figured things out correctly one of the drives that shows up in Device Manager does not show up during the reinstall sequence and the one that does not show up in Device Manager does show up in the reinstall. So, how do I get all 4 drives to show up during the reinstall?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Okay, I'm attempting to do that and 3 of 4 drives show up. If I have figured things out correctly one of the drives that shows up in Device Manager does not show up during the reinstall sequence and the one that does not show up in Device Manager does show up in the reinstall. So, how do I get all 4 drives to show up during the reinstall?

Assuming you are using SATA drives (which is usually where the problem is), either A) set the SATA ports on your mobo to IDE/Legacy mode or B) provide all of the necessary drivers for all of the ports you're using.  Is it a SATA drive?  Do you have it plugged directly into the mobo (or an extra controller card)?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:26 AM
  • SATA plugged directly to the MOBO. The odd thing is that I have an identical drive connected the same way that is recognized. I'm assuming that all the SATA ports on the board are configured the same way, or could specific ports be different?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:19 AM
  • SATA plugged directly to the MOBO. The odd thing is that I have an identical drive connected the same way that is recognized. I'm assuming that all the SATA ports on the board are configured the same way, or could specific ports be different?

It's possible.  Some mobos have some SATA ports pre-configured for RAID (which may require 2 drives be connected in order for RAID functionality to work).  Or it could be a problem with the hard drive or cabling.  Did you look for some IDE/Legacy mode (or something similar) for the SATA ports in the BIOS?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:12 PM
  • It seems the main problem was operator error in that I accedentally reformated the HHD. Fortunatly the reformat just deleted the file structure so that it was not hard to recover the data using a recovery program, it just ended up being a lot of headaches.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:46 PM