Backing up System images? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a quick question regarding WHS and how it 'backs things up'. Right now, I'm using WHS primarily for backing up the 2 laptops in my house, using the computer backup feature. This has been working well so far - no complaints. As I'm not sharing much data between the 2 laptops, I'm not using the shared folder feature much (yet).

Herein lies the problem: I want to "back up the server" to an external hard drive - easy enough. I fully understand how to set this up, but everywhere I read, this whole folder duplication / backup technology only applies to shared & personal folders - not PC backups. Therefore, in my case, adding an external hard drive is essentially useless, as I'm not storing things in the personal folders. Suppose an emergency, such as a fire, my external hard drive wouldn't have the PC's backups. Yikes!

Any clarification on this? Am I reading right? I'm actually a systems admin and deal with disaster recovery on a day to day basis. I'm trying WHS as it seems like a great product, but if this is the issue, then we're basically back to square one. I know I'm basically worrying about 'backing up the backup', but being able to back up everything but the PC backups would seem to be a pretty big oversight... Hmmm...
    • Edited by Scottyyyc Friday, June 5, 2009 8:42 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the advice, it helps somewhat. Again, I'm a systems admin, so many of the things you speak of I am definately familiar with. I usually put important files, downloads, etc in common areas on shared drives. Obviously, there's things local to a PC that would never normally make their way on there. It just seems as though not backing up the PC backups is a critical oversight. If you're saying you're backing up the server, back up the server. Not backing up the OS itself is one thing, but everything 'but' the OS (anything user related) should be getting backed up.

Gripes aside, Microsoft's new imaging is all based out of .WIM files, so I'd be willing to bet there's a bunch of .WIM and .RWM files sitting around somewhere. After all, they're just files... Anybody know where the PC backup store is? Creating some sort of script to throw them into a shared/private folder should be doable... Maybe... C'mon Microsoft, this is PP2 already.

The backup database is stored inside D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.  Note that it is a proprietary format and data cannot be extracted from the database except through WHS.  You can back it up by either A) following the instructions in the WHS Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore or B) using the BDBB add-in.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:38 PM

All replies

• If you go to wegotserved.com, you'll find a backup program that has two non-supported options that allow you to backup the WHS database/image and in addition to backing up client images to a removable USB drive (or wherever). It's called something like BBDS or something like that (sorry, I don't remember). It's written by Alex, the moderator of the site...seems like a solid program.

This is a good start, and should cover your needs.

I have 2 removable USB 1.5 TB drives, and rotate them off site about every week or two.

In addition, I have turned on duplicate files for my shared folders. PLUS, I am running Ghost on my clients....and put those images in a shared folder. Redundant, I know, but for me, the space usage is worth it (Ghost is easy to use and restores well, and from what I read about restoring WHS client image files...it can be problematic).

Also, I put all my downloaded programs that are installed onto the server and/or clients into another shared folder (a sub folder), in software...on WHS. That way, if I need to reconstruct the drive, at least I either have the image, disks, or downloaded programs/drivers, etc, there, all accessable. In that folder, I also put in any documentation that's needed, so I'm not looking everywhere for stuff.

Hope that helps.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, it helps somewhat. Again, I'm a systems admin, so many of the things you speak of I am definately familiar with. I usually put important files, downloads, etc in common areas on shared drives. Obviously, there's things local to a PC that would never normally make their way on there. It just seems as though not backing up the PC backups is a critical oversight. If you're saying you're backing up the server, back up the server. Not backing up the OS itself is one thing, but everything 'but' the OS (anything user related) should be getting backed up.

Gripes aside, Microsoft's new imaging is all based out of .WIM files, so I'd be willing to bet there's a bunch of .WIM and .RWM files sitting around somewhere. After all, they're just files... Anybody know where the PC backup store is? Creating some sort of script to throw them into a shared/private folder should be doable... Maybe... C'mon Microsoft, this is PP2 already.

Friday, June 5, 2009 10:13 PM

The backup database is stored inside D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.  Note that it is a proprietary format and data cannot be extracted from the database except through WHS.  You can back it up by either A) following the instructions in the WHS Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore or B) using the BDBB add-in.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:38 PM