Discover card downloads RRS feed

• Question

• Well, it looks like Discover card no longer supports downloads of transactions via .ofx imports.

The icon is gone from their download choices.  The choices are Quicken, Quick Books, CSV, or Excel.  

Now what?  Suggestions on how to do CSV imports?  Am I now down to manually copying the transactions? Quicken is not an option.

I've lodged a complaint for all the good it will do me.

Not encouraged for the future of a wonderful tool.

Glenda

Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:03 PM

All replies

• You may want to use PocketSense to download Discover statements. It is a little work to set up initially, but it works nicely. https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/p2

PocketSense downloads the QFX (Quicken) file and feeds it to Money. PocketSense is free. It is written in a language called Python and the source files are provided.

Among the  files that come is  sites.template which you edit to sites.dat. As it turns out, Discover site is already in  sites.template, so you could just copy  sites.template to sites.dat  If you later want site info for other sites, that is available too.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Money should run Quicken's qfx file.  Just download it like you did the ofx file.  You should associate ate the qfx extension with Money.  Easiest way to do this is do save the qfx file to your desktop, right click and choose Open with, the Choose default program and select Microsoft Money.  Make sure that the box to make this the default opening program is checked.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:17 PM
  • I suspect you are right that GKE is thinking of web downloads rather than OFX server downloads. Note that if you are to make the association, it should be to mnyimprt.exe.

If you want to associate the .qfx extension to OFX files so that Money can import it via a web server, you can create a .reg file named qif2ofx.reg.  Then web access to .qif files would work the same as for .ofx files.  That .reg file would contain the 15 lines that are between the two demarcation lines:

==========begin qif2ofx.reg===============================
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx]
    "Content Type"="text/qfx"
    @="ofx.Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\text/qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"
    ==========end qif2ofx.reg===============================

Just run that file after you create it.  So thereafter, if you use the web etc to bring in a .qif file, it is treated as if it were named *.ofx.  The Money install associated .ofx with itself.

If you are also using Quicken, this would probably not be a good thing to do.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Many thanks guys,

bobjbkln's suggestion to import Discover transactions via Quicken and 'open with' the Money program seems to work well.  I'll give it a day or two to make sure it is importing as I hope it is...  

Cal, I'll look into your suggestion sometime when I'm fresh and awake, not at the end of the day.  I'm not very comfortable messing around with the registry for fear of breaking something. Still, old dogs need to continue to learn new tricks...

All my banking and brokerage downloads seem to continue to work for me, which is a relief.  Chase Visa continues to download ok also.  

Thanks again.

Glenda

Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:21 AM
  • I have found a simple solution. It is a very simple process. Just download the the quicke file (with *.qfx format), open with notepad and save it as ofx file, thereafter Money will import it without any problem.

Basically both the files are same, except for the extension.

I dont know why Discover stopped this format, which does not cost them a dime, except that a hefty down payment from quicken for this consideration.

Monday, January 21, 2013 12:07 AM