Users gone (again) and services not starting RRS feed

• Question

• EDIT: I found the conflicting service. It is the Server server backup service that crashes the others. But where can I find why it is crashing the other services?

My server started acting up again. Last time I recall installing it all over again. And that just takes too much time, so I 'm hoping that I can solve it. Today the connector software on several machines were not able to connect to the server. Nothing had changed there. I then RDP-ed in, to notice that these 3 services weren't starting:

Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service

Windows Server Identity Management Service

Windows Server Server Backup Service

I manually started them, but it only took a few seconds to be unstarted again.

What did I do untill writing this post?

- restarting the server
    - installing some updates
    - went into the certification and renewed all certificates
    - restarted etc

My users are gone and the addins cannot be reached too. I really don't want to re-install the server all over again. Please help!

• Edited by muppets4 Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:31 PM
    Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:12 PM

Answers

• They're not gone. The "Windows Server Identity Management Service" just has to be running to see them. it's probably your "Windows Server Server Backup Service" that's causing the other two to fail. It happened to me too. Corrupted backup. My was a failing hard drive. Many other threads on this topic. Try here. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/a2f63401-0c14-4a24-9176-29b33f07b04f

P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, July 6, 2012 4:43 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 12:14 AM
  • If you have not very important backups, you could try to delete them and restart from the scratch. Also check the event log, if there was an unexpected shutdown recently (crash, power outage) or if a disk gets damaged sectors/ntfs errors.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:05 AM

All replies

• They're not gone. The "Windows Server Identity Management Service" just has to be running to see them. it's probably your "Windows Server Server Backup Service" that's causing the other two to fail. It happened to me too. Corrupted backup. My was a failing hard drive. Many other threads on this topic. Try here. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/a2f63401-0c14-4a24-9176-29b33f07b04f

P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it.

Monday, July 2, 2012 12:14 AM
  • If you have not very important backups, you could try to delete them and restart from the scratch. Also check the event log, if there was an unexpected shutdown recently (crash, power outage) or if a disk gets damaged sectors/ntfs errors.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:05 AM