Worth getting a brand new machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently playing with WHS in a virtual PC. I also have the option of using a spare 1Ghz Mini-ITX box.

In the longer term though I really want a reliable (i.e. good RAM, good PSU, etc) home server solution. I'm looking around at different options. However, will WHS be released to retail eventually, or will it be OEM only?

Whilst I'd still find an OS for my new server box regardless, I'd love it to be WHS!

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:53 PM

All replies

• Too early to tell if they're going to release it as an OEM or software, or either.

It's still a few months until it goes to RTM anyways, so I suppose they'll announce it before then.  I'm willing to bet that it will eventually go retail (either in this version or in 2.0 or 3.0), more profits that way.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:00 PM
  • The release notes mention a standalone version, and one has been mentioned here several times. They always say there's nothing certain about beta software, but it seems obvious that MS are at least hoping to have an installable version available for us geek-types.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Supporting the geeks is definately a good move by Microsoft. Windows became the ubiquitous platform it is today by supporting developers so well.

I already have a few ideas for always on services that make total sense for home server. So even if they didn't make WHS retail they should definately put it into MSDN universal.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Andrew,

I went through 3 configs

#1 P3 1Ghz, 512 Mbs RAM, Intel MoBo.

#2 Athlon 1.2Ghz 640 Mbs RAM, Iwill MoBo.

#3 P4 925, 2Gbs DDR2, Asus P5N-E SLI MoBo and GeForce 7100 Gs.

I noticed a good difference between #1 and #2 so I went and bought new hardware for #3 (about $420.)

My box really rocks.

I think MS will take care of us since they say in their own docs that Beta2 can upgrade to retail.

Mike

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:44 AM
  •  Mike Rojas wrote:

I think MS will take care of us since they say in their own docs that Beta2 can upgrade to retail.

Note that "upgrade to retail" does not necessarily entail "discount on price to upgrade."

From what I've heard, they'll release it on the pre-built devices (i.e., from HP), then after a few months release it as a stand-alone, roll-your-own product.

Personally, I'd wait before sinking money into a new machine for this product.  I think it's safe to say this product won't be ready to go to gold until first quarter of 2008 (i.e., next year).  As for me, one of our local computer resellers is trying to clean off their shelves in anticipation of getting a bunch of fast machines, so they're offering all their PIII 933MHz systems for $35 each.  I got a Dell GX150 (933MHz) for this project, and it's done well.  When the beta is over, then I'll have a machine I can use to put Linux on if I want to do some comparisons.

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:51 PM