locked
Windows Server Service Provider Registry Failing RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I'm having problems connecting to my Vail server, and even performing alot of the basic tasks. I've found the issue mainly seems to be alot of failed services, which seem to have the main dependancy on Windows Server Service Provider Registry Failing. Has anyone else had this issue and know of a fix?

    I had the region set to Australia initially - changed it back to US. I also had changed the timezone to an Australian one, again changed it back then waited the difference in hours before attempting to do anything on the server.

     

    I also cannot install the Vail connector software either - it comes up with a connectivity issue (which I'm assuming is due to the failed service). Application logs dont really reveal why its failing.

    Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:38 AM

Answers

  • Hello there,

    There are two issues here, both are known. The first one we've seen intermittently, mainly in VMs with not enough memory or resources. I'll ask some co-workers for advice here but if you *are* in a VM then you could up the memory and try again. My guess is that the Service Provider Registry service is failing because another service, the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service didn't start yet. This is a timing issue that we are looking at.

    The other issue sounds to be the same only on the client computer. I haven't hit that myself but we've seen a few instances of it. Can you look in the logs on the client and see if you see if something is complaining about that it cannot find the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service?

    Thanks for trying out Vail!


    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:01 PM

All replies

  • You should file a bug on Connect . Include logs sent using the Vail log collector tool.

    Microsoft will doubtless be interested to see how your server reached this state. :)


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:41 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello there,

    There are two issues here, both are known. The first one we've seen intermittently, mainly in VMs with not enough memory or resources. I'll ask some co-workers for advice here but if you *are* in a VM then you could up the memory and try again. My guess is that the Service Provider Registry service is failing because another service, the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service didn't start yet. This is a timing issue that we are looking at.

    The other issue sounds to be the same only on the client computer. I haven't hit that myself but we've seen a few instances of it. Can you look in the logs on the client and see if you see if something is complaining about that it cannot find the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service?

    Thanks for trying out Vail!


    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi Lennart,

    Yes the server is a VM - I will try upping the memory then - as I have noticed the server freezes upon occasion as well. I will also check into the Net.TCP Port Sharing service as well - its possible that its the issue as I have tried to collect the logs incase asked for them, and it will collect them but refuse to send them to microsoft - even though the server does have access to the internet and can ping and transfer files between home server and the clients as well.

    Sunday, May 2, 2010 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

    No such luck ;( The Net.TCP Port sharing service seems to be working well - and even though I try and collect logs it still wont send them ;( Are there any special ports that are meant to be open on my router to do that? I can browse, etc like a normal PC as it is in the same network as my normal PCs.

     

    It looks like my client is detecting my homeserver is there - (as it asks for the password for HOMESERVER which I set the name to be), however it comes up on the last screen stating that there has been a connection problem.

     

    I also upped the memory on the virtual machine from 1gb to 2gb. Any other suggestions?

    Monday, May 3, 2010 9:51 AM
  • For the logs, attach them to the bug report as an uploaded file. The collector tool tells you exactly where the zipped logs are found.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 3, 2010 12:23 PM
    Moderator
  • I've got the same issue, but resolved it by changing the service logon account, this is a common bug with exchange 2007.

     

    Just go in and change the logon to local system account, this isn't ideal or secure but hopefully then you will be able to send off the bug report.

     

     

    Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

    I ended giving my virtual machine 4096MB ram which seems to have resolved the issue.

    regards,

    Al

    Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:42 AM