Remote Desktop To Home Server Via Internet not working RRS feed

• Question

• hi i have setup home server on my friends home,  bought the acer home server from staples  now we can through the internet get to the home servers website  as it defaults to port 80 the router is set to be the DMZ  so i dont have to worry about ports and stuff,  problem is  i can not connect RDP to it i cant remote desktop to the home server, i can do it locally through the network   but internet i cant, it cant find it, nothing,  even though all the ports are open
    i didnt find anyone with same problem  so i hope there is some help
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, October 30, 2009 11:39 PM technical question
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:30 PM

All replies

• hi i have setup home server on my friends home,  bought the acer home server from staples  now we can through the internet get to the home servers website  as it defaults to port 80 the router is set to be the DMZ  so i dont have to worry about ports and stuff,  problem is  i can not connect RDP to it i cant remote desktop to the home server, i can do it locally through the network   but internet i cant, it cant find it, nothing,  even though all the ports are open
    Are you using IE as your web browser?  When you try to connect from outside your LAN, do you get an error message?  If so, exactly what does it say?  Are you able to connect to the desktop of any clients (assuming you have the necessary OS versions on those clients to do so)?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:40 PM

You can not setup RDP connection from a system outside your LAN. Only if both systems are connected by means of VPN tunnel this will work. You should be able to get to the Home Server Console from the computers tab of the webpage. If this fails (with a time-out) it's usually caused port 4125 being blocked at the remote site (compnay network) or port 4125 not being forwarded properly. In addition, as kariya21 already mentioned you need to use IE7 or higher for this feature to work.

If you want access to the server desktop through the WHS remote web page you can use the Program Launcher Add-in from Dan Forsyth
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:36 AM
  • If you are using Firefox as a browser you can use the IE tab addon for Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

John
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:45 AM
  • ah ok ill go over what you guys wrote

but ya i can access the remote access whs through the internet  but i wanted to remote desktop though like i can do with my windows 2003 server or my windows xp boxes i cant remote desktop right to it,  via the internet  using rdp  the remote desktop connection    just it wont allow me to connect to it  but i can do it locally.  if i cant do it from the internet  how can i get the remote desktop to work like i can do with my xp boxes and stuff

Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:57 PM
  • cuz i was hoping that terminal services would allow me to access my home server cuz its easier to do administraive things with it then the whs
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:06 PM
  • cuz i was hoping that terminal services would allow me to access my home server cuz its easier to do administraive things with it then the whs
    Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (as is all of these options).  Having said that, you can either A) use the add-in brubber mentioned, B) modify the rdpload.aspx file to show the server desktop through the Remote Access website (instead of the Console) or C) forward port 3389 from your router to your server (and change the server's firewall settings to allow RDC from anywhere).  I would suggest those in the order listed (A would be the best option, B second, and C last).
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:08 PM
  • ah ok ill look it over,  i know i have port 3389 forwarded and firewall alows me in,  through the local network i can remote desktop using the terminal services yet through interent  it cant find in  cuz right now i do option 3  on the local network  and just this home server giving me hastle  for remote terminal services from the internet to it  i wonder why they disable this feature but allow it in xp and stuff

but ill try
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:13 PM
  • ok  i found it the rdc  under firewall under remote desktop  under scope  anywhere even internet thats what i want thanks never even though to look in there
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:33 PM
  • ah ok ill look it over,  i know i have port 3389 forwarded and firewall alows me in,  through the local network i can remote desktop using the terminal services yet through interent  it cant find in  cuz right now i do option 3  on the local network  and just this home server giving me hastle  for remote terminal services from the internet to it  i wonder why they disable this feature but allow it in xp and stuff

but ill try
    One more thing I forgot to mention:  in order for C to work, you would have to put your external IP address in the RDC window (not your computer name).  But I wouldn't even consider using option C as it is too much of a security risk (at least not without creating a VPN tunnel first, which brubber mentioned).  And they don't "allow" it any more on XP than WHS or any other OS.  Your computer name will never work outside of your LAN on any OS (whether it's WHS, XP, Vista, or 7) without first creating a VPN tunnel.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:39 PM
  • what is a vpn tunnel  way i do it in the past and current is i use a dns updater to give my router or what not a internet domain name like  test.dlinkddns.com  and it points to it then router forwards the port of 3389 to the computer i want remote desktop too  that allows me in,  i did try to change my one computer the 3389 to a different port but now i cant access it lol think the firewall didnt take  so i gotta plug a monitor into and stuff

but what is the vpn tunnel  is that better features  i just wanna be able to access computer like i see my desktop etc and fast not slow
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:52 PM
  • what is a vpn tunnel  way i do it in the past and current is i use a dns updater to give my router or what not a internet domain name like  test.dlinkddns.com  and it points to it then router forwards the port of 3389 to the computer i want remote desktop too  that allows me in,  i did try to change my one computer the 3389 to a different port but now i cant access it lol think the firewall didnt take  so i gotta plug a monitor into and stuff

If the domain name worked with XP from outside your LAN, it should work with WHS as well (as long as your router is pointing the correct port to the correct IP address and the server firewall has been modified to allow it).  However, using RDP directly through the internet is still a bad idea (whether it's your external IP or a domain name).

but what is the vpn tunnel  is that better features  i just wanna be able to access computer like i see my desktop etc and fast not slow
    Explaining the details of a VPN tunnel is outside the scope of this forum.  But basically it's a secure connection between 2 computers no matter where they are located.  If you want more details, you should do an internet search (or you can start with wikipedia).
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:09 PM
  • ok ill look it up  i did play around just now setting up a vpn  on the home servr but how do u connect to it using the remote desktop connection

so why is remote desktop/terminal servicds a security risk? 
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:12 PM
  • so why is remote desktop/terminal servicds a security risk? 
    Because it provides a very convenient and easy way into your network for people with bad intentions. Just don't  do it unless you really know what you're doing.

Accessing the WHS desktop using the Add-in I suggested in my first post in this thread is much more secure and provides the same functionality. Effectively WHS remote access provides a secure connection (SSL VPN) to your home network.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 4:06 PM