System Reserved free space low after upgrading to Win 8.1 causing failed backups RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 8.1 on a 240 GB SSD with 126 GB free.  The System Reserved space on the SSD is allocated at 100 MB. Free space is 18 MB.  I assume Windows 8.1 or WHS 2011 put some additional files in the System Reserved space reducing the free space; all attempted backups have failed since then with "Insufficient Storage available for backup".  I excluded System Reserve from the backup, and the backups work.

Do I have any other options besides reducing the partition size on the C: drive and extending the System Reserved allocated space?  Does reducing the partition size delete all data or just reduce free space?  Does it have to be on the boot drive, or can it be moved to a different drive?  The only other computer in the house with a System partition is a fairly new Win 7 upgraded to Win 8 laptop - System allocation is 350 MB.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:02 PM

All replies

• I would think it was Windows 8.1; Windows Home Server doesn't use the System partition, it just backs it up. In any case, with a 100 MB partition, you need at least 30 MB free to successfully back up the partition. You will have to shrink the other partition on the disk and extend the system partition. As for what tool to use, I've used Acronis products in the (distant) past, but nothing in the past three or four years.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:00 AM