which is the best way of copying data from old whs server to newly built one RRS feed

• Question

• As per the title

can someone please help with this

my old server has file conflicts and even after replacing c drive with new one the problem won't go away

so time to get a new rig with 10 x 1.5TB and i want to copy over all my files and then i can reinstal the old system to factory fresh

i can obvioulsy goto my computer and then network and see both my servers and open the folders there but can i just copy and paste to get info moved ?

Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:53 AM

Answers

i can obvioulsy goto my computer and then network and see both my servers and open the folders there but can i just copy and paste to get info moved ?

Yes. It will be slow, but it will work. For somewhat better performance:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Navigate to D:\Shares. 
    • Copy from one of the shares on your old server to your new server.
    Repeat the above for each share. You can also log in to your new server, but you will have to copy from the shares on your old server to your new server using the shortcut to your new server's shares (visible on the server desktop).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by AMCross Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:21 PM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:55 PM

All replies

Yes. It will be slow, but it will work. For somewhat better performance:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Navigate to D:\Shares. 
    • Copy from one of the shares on your old server to your new server.
    Repeat the above for each share. You can also log in to your new server, but you will have to copy from the shares on your old server to your new server using the shortcut to your new server's shares (visible on the server desktop).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by AMCross Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:21 PM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:55 PM
  • thanks ken

all the best from bonnie scotland  :-)

Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:21 PM