Backup SBS and other server clients with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• This TechNet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee378513(WS.10).aspx seems to be saying that WHS would be a excelent backup solution for an SBS network.  You must not use the Remote Access feature of WHS, the File Sharing feature should not be used as well. Nor may you join the domain. I can live with the restrictions. I have multiple clients who could benefit from this inexpensive image backup solutiuon. I suppose this means I could use it on a regular Server 2003 network as well? I used the image restore last week and was amazed that it took less than 10 minutes to restore a newly reloaded test machine. Is any one else out ther using WHS on a domain?

Thanks,
    Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can use it on your regular Windows Server 2003 (or 2008) network as well. Just don't try to join it to the domain.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I too have been testing this WHS Backup Solution on small networks.  Simply mapping the drive from another computer to one of the WHS User Directory.  I have not been able to get a server to load the connector addin, in an attempt to create an automated image, similiar to the client native with WHS.  Any tricks to get it to load on a server, not adding it to the domain, SBS will not work with multiple servers on a domain, plus it's against the EULA!

Thanks

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Backing up your SBS computer isn't supported. You can do it, but it requires some tweaking the specifics of which I honestly don't recall at the moment. In addition, the SBS backup tools do some maintenance tasks that really need to be performed from time to time. The general recommendation would probably be to try the windows Home Server backup/restore first, and fall back to the SBS backup if the WHS restore fails for some reason. The WHS restore will definitely be faster. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:35 PM