Is anyone seeing this type of startup failure? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is anyone seeing a windows onecare service startup failure where

1. The Main OneCare window shows two yellow action items with Backup Provider failure and Security Settings Provider failure? 

2. Another manifestation of this failure could be that the Main Onecare window shows the status of the PC as Fair (yellow) but there are no action items (Yellow labels with reason for the Fair status) under it. Also the This PC Status and Your OneCare Circle status (on the left pane) will be 'unknown'.

The above cases might typically happen after the machine is rebooted.

If you see this issue

1. Is this issue going away after restarting winss service? (By doing a net stop winss and net start winss?)

2. What is the status of the Terminal Services service when this happens? Is the service running or stopped?

You can find this by 

a. Start->Run and typing in services.msc in the Run dialog and pressing enter

b. Scroll down to the 'Terminal Services' in the list of services that show up in the window) and look at the status  column for the service

Thank you for using OneCare and for any information regarding this.

Balaji

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:10 PM

All replies

• I've not seen this I gave it 32 days to show up but nothing.  

Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:20 PM
  •  

Thank you Mikro.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:04 AM
  • Balaji;

After the latest 2.0 beta version update that was pushed out, the 'WINSS' service will no longer start automatically on any of the three machines running the 2.0 beta (All systems running Vista - Premium on an HP M9000T, Business on a Dell 9250, and Ultimate running under VMWare Fusion on a current high-end Macbook Pro respectively). Furthermore, it takes five (5) minutes to go from the Vista 'Welcome Screen' to the desktop. A black screen is displayed between the 'Welcome Screen' and the functioning desktop, presumably due to the default WINSS service settings attempt to restart twice with a 2 minute delay between attempts.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the beta, tried all combinations of service settings, and confirmed the problem exists on 'clean' installs of Vista to confirm that no other programs or services could be interfering with the WINSS service startup. Please note that I can MANUALLY start the service after I am presented with a functional Vista environment and that OneCare runs flawlessly after doing so, but this situation would be unacceptable for my SOHO clients to whom I will be marketing this product upon its release.

At this point, please remain aware that this situation only began AFTER the latest update, prior to the update the beta was running without issue on all test systems. Do you have any suggestions as to a workaround or upcoming fix as regards this issue?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:41 PM
  • This is exactly what I've been asking for help with to customer support. But I'm bouncing back emails and cust support is insistent that I Uninstall, Use Cleanup Utility, Reinstall. I have to no avail. I'm just going to do it my way. I have set this the WinSS service to Manual and will launch from the Startup Folder via .bat . I'm quite disappointed in seeing Onecare have install issues again. I really like it's interface, cleanliness (compared to McAfee/Symantec), and value. But with these issues, it is difficult to recommend to clients with confidence.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:21 AM
  •  melenet wrote:
    This is exactly what I've been asking for help with to customer support. But I'm bouncing back emails and cust support is insistent that I Uninstall, Use Cleanup Utility, Reinstall. I have to no avail. I'm just going to do it my way. I have set this the WinSS service to Manual and will launch from the Startup Folder via .bat . I'm quite disappointed in seeing Onecare have install issues again. I really like it's interface, cleanliness (compared to McAfee/Symantec), and value. But with these issues, it is difficult to recommend to clients with confidence.

There have been a number of threads on this issue with the 2.0 upgrade and the OneCare team is working hard to identify the cause. See this post, in particular - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523170&SiteID=2

Some have reported by uninstalling the Peer to Peer networking service, their problems with Winss went away.

-steve

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:24 AM