none
Can I import old style push pins to 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I used, and upgraded several years of S&T until 2007 and stuck with that one until downloading and installing 2011.  I was promised that my old Master map with hundreds of pushpins, both Custom and OEM, would open and function properly.  Well, it did just that.  Fortunately all of my Custom Imported Push Pins looked exactly as they did in the older S&T versoin.  UNFORTUNATELY, the OEM Push Pins were totally redesigned and I AM NOT HAPPY.  Some brilliant artsy fartsy thought it would be a good idea to give the Push Pins a brand new "OH SO PRETTY" look and now, instead of easy to see bright single colors, easy to see at a glance while driving, are now 3D pastels.  AND, I can't reach over and move the mouse quickly to a Tool Bar Item, as the tool icons also are all a bunch of garbled graphics, when trying to pick out a certain one from the lineup while driving.

Example,  As a truck driver using as my GPS map, I placed many RED DOTS from the push pin selection, at every piont on the map where DOT officers have a weigh statoin.  They were bright red, easily spotted points on the map, and now . . . well, if you've used old and now new versions, you know what I mean.  They went for cool looks over ease of function IMO.

SO, does anyone have any idea of a way to use change out a DLL file or something, moving an old file which contains the push pins and icons, into the newer versoin, getting rid of the artsy pins?

Thanks a million. 

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:45 AM

All replies

• At least you didn't go via 2009 - this is when the pins and toolbars were changed. The number of pins were greatly reduced, which most people list as a much bigger problem. 2010 (and 2011) brought back the 300+ missing pins but they are to the new style. No you can't change them, but you could import your own custom pins.

As for the toolbars, these were made larger - the idea was to make it clearer and easier to use - especially for mobile users such as your drivers. There's an option in the menus to make the toolbars small (and to switch the Drawing Toolbar back on) - this might be more applicable to desktop users with large screens (eg. me).

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Hi Longhaul -

Yeah - it was a bummer to lose the 'plain' red dot pushpin when going from 2008 to 2009 versions. 

If you're looking for the old Red Dot pushpin - see if this works for you:  Go to www.mypointsales.com/pushpins.html   and download the Streets and Trips 2009 template file from the link 'Streets and Trips 2009 Update'.    When you open this downloaded template file,  Streets and Trips 2011 will let you know it was createdin an older version, and records must be match.....Click OK. 

Now you'll see the older 2009 pushpins along with newer 'Artsy' pins.    Now, choose 'save as', and save the file with a name in a location you can get to easily (like your desktop).  Now, every time you you open that map - it will have your red dot pushpin.

BUT - remember - to see the red dot pushpin - you have to use that map you saved.  If you open ST2011 from programs - it will call the base template map that does not include the red dot pushpin.

That's a quick work around for you.

For others - I'll ask the question here:  Is there a 2011 map base template map that includes 'Old' Pushpins?

Keith O'Brien
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:14 PM