Client backup of more than 2TB RRS feed

• Question

• Need some advice on managing client backups with WHS 2011.  I've just built a WHS 2011 system to replace my WHS v1 and I'm not sure how best to deal with no drive extender.   One of the PCs I backup has 4TB of storage space (five HDDs) which is about 60% used.  The data (hi res RAW photos) is not static.  How do a manage backing up multiple HDDs on a single PC that contains more than 2TB of data to the new WHS?  Do I manage the client backups by individual HDD now to accommodate the way the new WHS manages it's storage without the drive extender?  i.e. do I backup the client boot drive to a server folder/HDD, and the client data drives to separate server folders/HDDs?

Dan C
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:19 AM

Answers

• No, you can't do that. All backups for all connected clients are backed up to the same server hard disk.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by K-Loader Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:46 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:27 AM

All replies

• No, you can't do that. All backups for all connected clients are backed up to the same server hard disk.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by K-Loader Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:46 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Can you clarify?  If I have four clients, can I backup each to a separate server hard disk, or must they all be backed-up on the same server hard disk?  Also, if a single client has more than 2TB of content, can I use WHS 2011 for the backup?

Thanks 

Dan C
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:06 AM
  • Phil, found the answer in one of your previous posts--use of a tool like SyncToy to backup my data files to select drives on the server.   

Thanks much for your posts.

Dan C
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:46 PM
  • I use a combination of SyncToy and SyncBack (which is much more flexible).

Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:06 PM