Laptop fails every time WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I realize this may not be specific to WHS2011, but it is what I'm using so I'm posting this here.

I can't get my laptop to successfully backup.  WHS2011 does not give me a clear indication why.  I have tried using wired Ethernet and fiddling with the power management settings to no avail.  Is there any place I can find a best practices document?  All of the desktop PCs on my network are backing up just fine. 

Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• I would start by checking the system event log (both on the server and client) for relevant errors.

Also, be aware that WHS 2011 cannot readily deal with clients having an EFI BIOS, dynamic disks, disks with GPT partitions, non-NTFS formatted volumes, or volumes > 2Tb.  For this, you'd have to upgrade to WHS v1. ;-)

Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:53 PM
  • I would start by checking the system event log (both on the server and client) for relevant errors.

Also, be aware that WHS 2011 cannot readily deal with clients having an EFI BIOS, dynamic disks, disks with GPT partitions, non-NTFS formatted volumes, or volumes > 2Tb.  For this, you'd have to upgrade to WHS v1. ;-)

Client Log:

Backup of volume D: to WHS2011 did not succeed. Reason: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ProtocolException: ConnectionLostSystem.String[]

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.WriteWithReconnect(Int32 count)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupUtil.BinaryWriterEx.Write(Int64 value)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.SendClusterHash(Int64 clusterIndex, Byte[] hash)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 0x57 API name: SetFileValidData File: F:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\{D2B2D035-CE68-476B-9761-7214AC046429}.tmp Error: The parameter is incorrect.

Server Error:

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 0x57 API name: SetFileValidData File: F:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\{D2B2D035-CE68-476B-9761-7214AC046429}.tmp Error: The parameter is incorrect.

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service failed at (185) of (d:\wssg_src\hsbs_colorado\backup\pc\util\diskfile.cpp).

Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Looking at this, I'd suggest checking the disk integrity of the d: drive on your laptop, and if that uncovers no disk errors, then also on the f: drive on the server. Could be a bad block on the drive that is causing the problem.

On the server, you should use the "Check and Repair" tool found under drive properties in the Dashboard.  On the PC you can use the disk "Error Checking" tool in Windows Explorer, or the 'chkdsk' command line tool if are comfortable with that. 

Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Did you ever fix this? I am having a similar issue.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I have had nothing but grief with client backups after buying a new WHS 2011 server.  Client backups in WHS version 1 were rock solid no matter the type of client:  desktop, notebook, whatever.  The backup database repair wizard in WHS 2011 is a joke.  Microsoft's idea of a repair is to delete all backups of the client having issues.  Sadly, I thought that backups would have improved under WHS 2011.  I was fine not having disk extender in the latest release but I am really surprised by how problematic and unreliable backups are in WHS 2011 versus the previous release.  For me, it was a huge waste of money and now I'm left trying to come up with a workable alternative.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:56 PM