Question about Windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seriously contemplating on getting one of the HP MediaSmart  servers (for the vast amount of data and documents that I do have.

Some of my questions are.

Is there a possibility that the Pictures folder could be rerouted on vista machines to the server itself?  (to avoid confusion?) such as; Start > Pictures or User > Pictures.  Granted I know that there are registery hacks for this that I assume I could route to the shared folder. 

Hp Media Collect (Which grabs all the media and duplicates it to the server) is there any other addons available incase I choose to build it myself?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:40 PM

Answers

• IIRC, on Vista you can set the locations of the shell folders individually (on XP you can only set the location of the My Documents folder). So in theory you could set the Pictures folder for everyone to be e.g. \\server\users\dinosaurfish\Pictures. At worst you have the registry changes.

However, you shouldn't do this with any computer that will regularly be taken off your home network. (Notebook, computers, for example.) If you do so, the shell folders you've redirected will be unavailable while off premises.

The HP media collector is a tool which runs on your client PCs, not the server. You could create similar functionality with e.g. a sync toy or robocopy scheduled task.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:47 PM real men don't need splel-checkers? :P
    • Marked as answer by Budman17r Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• IIRC, on Vista you can set the locations of the shell folders individually (on XP you can only set the location of the My Documents folder). So in theory you could set the Pictures folder for everyone to be e.g. \\server\users\dinosaurfish\Pictures. At worst you have the registry changes.

However, you shouldn't do this with any computer that will regularly be taken off your home network. (Notebook, computers, for example.) If you do so, the shell folders you've redirected will be unavailable while off premises.

The HP media collector is a tool which runs on your client PCs, not the server. You could create similar functionality with e.g. a sync toy or robocopy scheduled task.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:47 PM real men don't need splel-checkers? :P
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Wow thanks for the quick reply (apparently I need to learn more about vista!)

• Unmarked as answer by Budman17r Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:08 PM