I have a gateway pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a gateway pc that is older it came with XP media Center. The drive took a sh^T and now I'm needing to get a new hard drive and reinstall the OS on it. Problem is that is out of warranty and I don't have the restore cd or gateway cd's. I do have the XP media center key on the Ceritificate sticker on the back of the pc. Where can I get the XP media Center (download may be??) and install it using my key??
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hello Anonymous123sdaf,

In your situation you have several options:

1.  Your best option (because the discs will likely have all the drivers needed too) is to contact Gateway's customer support or tech support and inquire if the Recovery/Reinstallation/Restore discs are available for your system.  If you have the serial number of your Gateway, start on this web page:  https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=gateway&sn=T037981006032

2.  Contact a third part that sells genuine major manufacturer recovery discs, such as www.restoredisks.com or equivalent.  I would stay away from any generic so-called restore disc sold on auction sites, as these are usually no more than a burned collection of generic utilities that will NOT put genuine Windows back onto your computer.

3.  Borrow a set of two discs from a friend who has a systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer installation of Windows Media Center on his/her computer.  These will be genuine Microsoft OEM hologrammed CDs for Media Center--if they are burned /bootleg copies, stay away.  If their computer is NOT from a name brand manufacturer AND the Certificate of Authenticity for Media Center Edition has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" on the second line directly under "Windows XP Media Center Edition" then they will have the correct discs that will accept your product key on your CoA.  You will NOT be able to successfully use someone else's Media Center discs from another name brand computer, unless of course it is a Gateway branded computer that has a CoA for Windows Media Center Edition.

DO NOT under any circumstances download a torrent or iso that is for any edition of Windows XP including Media Center.  Research shows that more than half of these have embedded rootkits and malware--not a good thing!  With the exception of special academic programs accessed thru specific microsoft.com portals (which are probably expired by now), Microsoft has NEVER provided the general public a download of any edition of Windows XP.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

In your situation you have several options:

1.  Your best option (because the discs will likely have all the drivers needed too) is to contact Gateway's customer support or tech support and inquire if the Recovery/Reinstallation/Restore discs are available for your system.  If you have the serial number of your Gateway, start on this web page:  https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=gateway&sn=T037981006032

2.  Contact a third part that sells genuine major manufacturer recovery discs, such as www.restoredisks.com or equivalent.  I would stay away from any generic so-called restore disc sold on auction sites, as these are usually no more than a burned collection of generic utilities that will NOT put genuine Windows back onto your computer.

3.  Borrow a set of two discs from a friend who has a systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer installation of Windows Media Center on his/her computer.  These will be genuine Microsoft OEM hologrammed CDs for Media Center--if they are burned /bootleg copies, stay away.  If their computer is NOT from a name brand manufacturer AND the Certificate of Authenticity for Media Center Edition has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" on the second line directly under "Windows XP Media Center Edition" then they will have the correct discs that will accept your product key on your CoA.  You will NOT be able to successfully use someone else's Media Center discs from another name brand computer, unless of course it is a Gateway branded computer that has a CoA for Windows Media Center Edition.

DO NOT under any circumstances download a torrent or iso that is for any edition of Windows XP including Media Center.  Research shows that more than half of these have embedded rootkits and malware--not a good thing!  With the exception of special academic programs accessed thru specific microsoft.com portals (which are probably expired by now), Microsoft has NEVER provided the general public a download of any edition of Windows XP.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Dan,
     Thanks for the reply so now I have an issue with contacting Gateway cause hte pc is out of warranty and thye don't have the disks for the pc I have. Is it possible and legal to use XP install disk from my other pc but use the license key of the gateway?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:38 PM

If that other Gateway came with Windows XP Media Center Edition, too, then you may be able to use its recovery/reinstallation discs on the Gateway whose hard disk drive became defective.  Just look at the CoA for both computers--if they describe the same exact version and edition of Windows, there is no Windows reason for why they would not work.  However, ther are no guarantees because it's possible for Gateway to have programmed any given set of recovery discs to work only on their corresponding model of computer.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:10 AM
  • the other pc is not a gateway. So I just can install XP from any CD\DVD and use my gateway key to register it? Also wanted to know since this gateway was previously registered with the old hard drive that crashed how do I install new drive and re-register windows with new drive? I don't have the restore disk and if I did get them or order them I don't want to setup the drive like gateway did with just 2 partitions. I would like to partition differently so I can save my user data next time it crashes or virus take over.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:31 PM