Will this hardware handle WHS good? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all of you,

I have build a config and would like to have your expert advices on if it will work good or not!

Motherboard : Aopen I915Gmm-hfs

CPU : 1.7 ghz Dothan (Pentium M) with speedstep enabled

2x 512 MB of RAM

2x Western Digital 1 terabyte SATA drive

Gigabyte NIC

Will this config be able to handle my home network load?

Should I go for a core duo CPU?

Thanks for your help

Dag

Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:05 PM

All replies

• I think in order to answer the question it would help to know what you want to do with WHS?

Andrew

Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:07 PM
  • 1) Share my music so that it is accessible from my 3 other machines!

2) Store my divx and play them on TV!

3) store my DVDs and play them on TV

4) Store all the documents and pictures I have

5) publish  a web site to the internet

6) Backup my 3 PCS

Many access to the WHS will be made at the same time!

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:20 AM
  • Hi

Personally I would go for the better processor - the memory and hard drives are sufficient to do what you want I would say.

I assume for 2 and 3 you are going to be streaming them to a device such as an Xbox 360 which is connected to your TV?

Andrew

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:04 AM
  •  

Well since this is old hardware I cannot find another processor !

Divx and DVD are played by another MCE machine conencted to WHS ! no XBox!

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:48 AM
  • Morning,

Your processor might be a little under powered if you intend doing all that at once!

Another point, is that you would be better with 3 x750MB disks, rather than 2 x 1TB. It would give better redundancy in case of disk failure - it would be easier to re-construct the data automatically with three disks, as the data doesn't have to be stored on the System disk, only the two others.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:50 AM
  • Colin is right :-)

The other thing is you could build the WHS box with your kit, install the software, but dont activate it. You will then have 30 days in which to determine if your hardware is suitable or not. That might save you some money :-)

Andrew

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:52 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Morning,

Your processor might be a little under powered if you intend doing all that at once!

Another point, is that you would be better with 3 x750MB disks, rather than 2 x 1TB. It would give better redundancy in case of disk failure - it would be easier to re-construct the data automatically with three disks, as the data doesn't have to be stored on the System disk, only the two others.

Colin

With three disk, the first one (OS disk) is not used to store data?

So if I have 3 disk and change hardware (motherboard or complete PC) how should I proceed??

Thanks for your help!

DGa

Monday, October 29, 2007 12:35 PM
  • Depends!

If it's a similar motherboard, you 'might' just get away with transferring the disks over, as long as they are kept in the same order. However, it's likely that the HAL will be different, so a re-installation would be required. A re-installation, if you have three disks, is fairly easy, but may not be quick. It will keep all your data and backups, but you would need to re-add your Add-Ins, Clients etc.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Colin,

So now that I have 2 disk I just bought a third one.

How should I proceed so that when a failure happens it is easy to repair.

Should I simply add the third disk to WHS and it will take care of it? Should I re-install?

Thanks for your help

Dag

Friday, November 2, 2007 2:11 PM