Can a drive be retstored without using a WHS Restore CD? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer system has picked up a virus that will not allow me to access www.malwarebytes.org . or the MalwareBytes software I had already installed on my computer. It does the same for SpyBot S&D and SuperAntiSpyware. I did a boot to SAFE and was able to run those programs but it did not fix the problem. So I have decided to do a restore of my system from my WHS. I have no problem booting up and running other programs, it's just the antiVirus that I can't run.

However, I cannot figure out how to do a restore from WHS without use the WHS Restore CD. I thought that was only needed if you couldn't boot your system at all. Is there a way to do a restore without using the WHS Restore CD?
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:16 PM

All replies

• It's not possible to restore a computer while it's actually running the OS you want to restore. So:
    1. Boot from the Restore CD.
    2. Load drivers for your computer (if needed) so that you will have network access, and access to all your drives.
    3. Select a backup from before the malware infection.
    4. Restore the entire computer: all drives, all partitions. This is particularly important if you have a multi-boot configuration; often if you only restore one bootable partition, you will find yourself unable to boot at all afterward.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:35 AM