Watch internet TV
    Listen to internet radio stations
    I want album arts for all music and videos
    Eeasy to control, preferably with my Logitech Harmony 880

Here is what I have:

HP MediaSmart Server (eX475, I think)
    A shuttle computer that I could hook up to the TV if necessary
    Big library of music ripped to FLAC
    Many DVD movies copied from DVD to the HD (I could generate iso files if necessary)

My questions:

How do I set this best up to achieve the above goals? Do I need the second Shuttle PC? Or do I need a streaming media box (roko, archos, etc)? What software (twonky, TVersity, etc) do I need on what computer?

Any input is appreciated
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:42 PM

All replies

• You'll find information on the media streaming capabilities of Windows Home Server, including supported file formats, in the Media Sharing technical brief. That will probably answer some of your questions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:01 AM
  • I have a related question. That is, I would like to be able to capture TV shows that are available on the internet and play them back later.  Shows like CSI, Bones, NCIS and so on. I can watch them now but they are a bit slow and jerky sometimes. Also I would like to be able to watch them on my schedule rather than on the Network's schedules. I have looked into Moxi and TiVo and a few other options. So far it appears that nobody has a machine that can do this? Perhaps a software solution? Or, are the codecs, copywright laws, etc. the problem?

Thanks,  Galtha48
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:29 AM
  • I have a related question. That is, I would like to be able to capture TV shows that are available on the internet and play them back later.  Shows like CSI, Bones, NCIS and so on. I can watch them now but they are a bit slow and jerky sometimes. Also I would like to be able to watch them on my schedule rather than on the Network's schedules. I have looked into Moxi and TiVo and a few other options. So far it appears that nobody has a machine that can do this? Perhaps a software solution? Or, are the codecs, copywright laws, etc. the problem?

Thanks,  Galtha48
    First, this really has nothing to do with the OP questions so you should start a new thread.  Second, do you have Windows Home Server?  If not, you should post your question in the appropriate OS forum (7, Vista, or XP).
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:41 AM
  • This is what I have done:

Built my own WHS system that is nothing fancy as I did not know how much I would use it.  It is great now using throughout the house.
    First system to connect was an old shuttle pc and upgrade to max memory (2 GB RAM) and capable CPU (E7400) video card cannot remember but rating of 3.4.  If you need to know what I used let me know and I will send it.  For network connection I used a Belkin N version .4001.  IMPORTANT: Could not watch live HD until I installed latest driver.  Installed Win 7 on the shuttle and connect it to a 10 year old 50 inch Toshiba (1080i) resolution. I control the system with a Harmony remote as well with the shuttle.

Observation: The old TV picture is better now because of the calibration feature that WIN 7 offers. 

Wireless router: D-Link N
    HDHomeRun to connect a HD Antenna to the router.  HDHomeRun is a TV tuner for Over the Air HD broadcast. I bought 2 so that I can record up to 4 shows at a time.
    Did buy an antenna and installed in attic. 

I do listen to Live365 no problem and watch Netflix as well through Windows media center.

I now watch live HD OTA broadcast, as well as, record the broadcasts on any tv (Monitor) that I have connected to the network. 

This past weekend I built another pc and connected it to a spare montior  I had and used a D-Link N wireless adapter and it too works great.  I have a huge library of music and some video and have little to no issues.  Perhaps, 1 or less a month.

We are returning the cable box and terminating service next week.  We have determined that we can watch on the internet the shows that we do not get OTA.  This will save us money in the long run after the investment that we have just made.  Along with the Tivos that I will sell on Ebay.

Karl
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:23 PM