Running a website on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows home server up and running fine. the remote access works just as it should nad i am very happy with this. I want to add a personal website that runs on a separate port. I created a new website in the IIS manager and placed some of my webpages in the directory. when i try to access the site on my LAN I am told that i do not have permission to access the site. Obviously it is some sort of permissions issue but where should I start?
    Friday, March 30, 2007 6:54 PM

Answers

• Things to check. 

1) Log into the server and go to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Internet Information Servicves (ISS) Manager.

2) Drill down to the Default Web Site.

3) Right click Default Web Site and select Properties.

4) Go to the Directory Security tab and in the Anonymous Access section, click Edit.

5) Ensure that Enable anonymous access is checked and the username is IUSR_SERVER.  Don't worry about the password, this is set for that account, automatically.

6) Go to the Documents tab.  Add "index.html" to the list of default documents and ensure that Enable default content page is checked.  "index.html" is not in this list, by default and if directory browsing is turned off, you'll get an error about permissions.

7)  Close out of properties

8) Right click on the Default web site and select New, Virtual Directory.

9) Give it an alias and then browse to the folder that contains your website files.

10) Right click on the Virtual Directory you just added and select Properties.

11) Repeat steps 4 through 7 for the Virtual Directory.

This should be sufficient.  If not...........

12) In Windows Explorer, browse to the folder that contains your web site files.  Right click the folder and select Properties.

13) Go to the Security tab and under the Groups or usernames section click Add.

14) Enter IUSR_SERVER and click Apply and OK your way out.  As a note, the IUSR_SERVER account is a member of the Guest user group.  You can change this by going to Start, Run and entering LUSRMGR.MSC and expanding the Users folder.  Modify the IUSR_SERVER account to be in the Users group.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Check to see if you have allowed anonymous access to your new website or whether you have stated Integrated Windows Authentication.

You can also run your personal website as a virtual directory within the WHS Default Website. 

So the WHS Website would be http://www.yourWHSsite.com and your personal site would be http://www.yourWHSsite.com/personal

That is how I have setup a personal website within the WHS Default Website.

David
    Friday, March 30, 2007 7:48 PM
  • You may need to logon to the server, either locally or via Remote Desktop.  Load the IIS manager snap-in and drill down to the virtual directory you created.  Right click on it and select properties.  Go to the Directory Security tab and click the Edit button in Authentication and access control section.  Ensure that anonymous logon is enabled.  Alternatively, you can turn on Integrated authentication and it will prompt you for a username and password. This should be able to be accessed by any valid username/password combination on the WHS machine.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 4:11 AM
  • One other possibility is assigning, specifically, "read" permissions to the IUSR_SERVER account.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:45 AM

All replies

• Check to see if you have allowed anonymous access to your new website or whether you have stated Integrated Windows Authentication.

You can also run your personal website as a virtual directory within the WHS Default Website. 

So the WHS Website would be http://www.yourWHSsite.com and your personal site would be http://www.yourWHSsite.com/personal

That is how I have setup a personal website within the WHS Default Website.

David
    Friday, March 30, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Anonymous access is checked. integrated windows authentication is not checked. should it be? Also, I have tried a virtual directory and a separate website with no luck.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 8:10 PM
  • You may need to logon to the server, either locally or via Remote Desktop.  Load the IIS manager snap-in and drill down to the virtual directory you created.  Right click on it and select properties.  Go to the Directory Security tab and click the Edit button in Authentication and access control section.  Ensure that anonymous logon is enabled.  Alternatively, you can turn on Integrated authentication and it will prompt you for a username and password. This should be able to be accessed by any valid username/password combination on the WHS machine.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 4:11 AM
  • I have enabled annonymous access for my virtual directory. I even went as far as to check my index.html file locally. I am still recieving the message "you are not authorized to view this page". Any other ideas?
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:09 PM
  • One other possibility is assigning, specifically, "read" permissions to the IUSR_SERVER account.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:45 AM
  • I'll try that when I get home from work. is there anywhere else that there might be an access control list that is preventing me from seeing my site?
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:54 PM
  • The only other thing to check is what account IIS is using for anonymous authentication.  You can change this to an account that you know has the necessary permissions.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 3:36 PM
  • I think this is all too complicated.   I'm surprised that WHS doesn't include a basic WSS site by default (similar to what you get with SBS).  

Hardly any of the familes I know would actually want remote access to individual desktops.  What they would want would be some sort of family intranet with a calendar, contacts, and basic "document library" and remote access to that.  I'd like to see some sort of "IHome Website" tab on the console to set that up.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:07 PM
  • No, it isn't complicated.  What you're seeing is exactly what the home user would see. I set up an additional virtual directory, added a sample page and had it online in a couple of minutes.  But I have some familiarity with IIS.  Your typical home user isn't.  And there is some extensibility coming in later builds, that may allow OEM's or other developers to add some of this functionality.

As for a "family web portal", great idea.  Log it as a suggestion on Connect for Version Next.  With the time frame the product team has to work with to meet their ship dates for v1, there has to be a trade off between making things work and what features can be added.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Things to check. 

1) Log into the server and go to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Internet Information Servicves (ISS) Manager.

2) Drill down to the Default Web Site.

3) Right click Default Web Site and select Properties.

4) Go to the Directory Security tab and in the Anonymous Access section, click Edit.

5) Ensure that Enable anonymous access is checked and the username is IUSR_SERVER.  Don't worry about the password, this is set for that account, automatically.

6) Go to the Documents tab.  Add "index.html" to the list of default documents and ensure that Enable default content page is checked.  "index.html" is not in this list, by default and if directory browsing is turned off, you'll get an error about permissions.

7)  Close out of properties

8) Right click on the Default web site and select New, Virtual Directory.

9) Give it an alias and then browse to the folder that contains your website files.

10) Right click on the Virtual Directory you just added and select Properties.

11) Repeat steps 4 through 7 for the Virtual Directory.

This should be sufficient.  If not...........

12) In Windows Explorer, browse to the folder that contains your web site files.  Right click the folder and select Properties.

13) Go to the Security tab and under the Groups or usernames section click Add.

14) Enter IUSR_SERVER and click Apply and OK your way out.  As a note, the IUSR_SERVER account is a member of the Guest user group.  You can change this by going to Start, Run and entering LUSRMGR.MSC and expanding the Users folder.  Modify the IUSR_SERVER account to be in the Users group.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:30 PM
  • After looking at the system requirements for WSS 3.0, I can see why we don't have a built-in intranet site for WHS: WSS minimum requirments are much higher than those for WHS.   I guess they would either have to go back to WSS 2.0 or get some sort of special build to run in the WHS configuration

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:01 PM
  • Don't forget, the OEMs probably won't be shipping 1 Gig P4's in their systems. :-)  I full expect to see 3 Gig or better CPU's with hyperthreading and/or dual core, many x64 and 512 Meg to 1 Gig of RAM in the OEM boxes.  Just because you can install it on old, slow hardware doesn't mean the OEM's will. <G>
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Do you really expect that?  I was thinking just the opposite: I expect OEMS they will build using the least expensive options available.  While we certainly won't see new boxes built on 1GHz PIIIs, I should think the x64 2.2GHz processor I put in my homemade box would be a perfectly respectable base.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Slower desktop CPU's are becoming more expensive than the newer chips as manufacturing methods move forward, the older, slower designs cost more to make.  And the OEM's will be able to bundle their own software offerings (such as Media library suites and others that they see fit to include in WHS), that may benefit from faster CPU's.  What you see at this level is different that what you'll see in the final OEM versions.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Well I installed WSS 3.0 on my underpowered (2.2GHz/512GB) WHS and it's running --albeit very slowly.  I may get more memory from another  machine and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I made up a shared calendar and synchronized that with Outlook.  It would be easy to do a family task list too and color code them by person.  The next thing I want to do though, is set up a picture gallery that can be accessed from outside...

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 1:05 AM
  • So I finally got it working. what i had to do was add the anonymous access user to the security of my directory folder.
    Thanks again everyone that helped me out. I am going to go vote on connect that this be streamlined and made available in the final release.
    -Mike
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Glad you're up and running, Mike. :-)
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:10 AM
  •  Athena wrote:

Well I installed WSS 3.0 on my underpowered (2.2GHz/512GB) WHS and it's running --albeit very slowly.  I may get more memory from another  machine and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I made up a shared calendar and synchronized that with Outlook.  It would be easy to do a family task list too and color code them by person.  The next thing I want to do though, is set up a picture gallery that can be accessed from outside...

Dont despair yet, things are getting better... your underpowered server is twice what I have. (1.3 GHz AMD Duron/512mb ram 250gb Pri. HD 10gb Sec.) at first things were slow but after a day or 2 of indexing and Crawling by both desktop search and Sharepoint everything started to fly..

I have 6 PC's on the network and the WHS logs show the average nightly backup is between 15 and 23 minutes per PC. (yes, initial backups ran into hours) I am running Sharepoint (WSS 3.0) with a shared outlook calendar and a shared document list that has a mix of 17 .XLS and .DOC files for home inventory, Phone book, emergency contacts ETC and I got to tell ya, the sharepoint site loads faster than msn.com does on my 3 Gb DSL line. So all in all I'm quite happy with it.

I did have 1 major crash after a Hard disk failed and I decided to re-install (yesterday) from scratch. during the new install there was a very large download and and time to apply updates that I had not noticed during the initial install of beta 2. there was no change to the desktop version numbers or anything to prove it but this install is so much more stable, (including interaction with WSS ) I wonder if Dynamic update gave me some newer files than the original Beta2 install...

Rex

Friday, April 6, 2007 4:46 AM
  • There is a new set on help documents out on the web having to do with about everything you'd want to know about websites and Windows Home Server.

See http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/

Specifically you might want to look at Part 5, Trouble Shooting

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:03 AM
  • I am one of the authors of the help documents mentioned just above.  ttoomm is the name I use in the guide.

I am backtracking some hits to the website mentioned in the post above.  Allow me to give a little more information on the tutorial/guide.

What we did was build and deploy a dynamic ASP.NET website on our Windows Home Servers.  We did this by combining the following:

* Free Microsoft Express software

* Free Starter Kits with all the website's code

* Free IIS Web Server OS That comes with Windows Home Server already

* (our) Free Guide so others don't have to "bleed" like we did

What fastphoto (the other author) and I wanted to do is/was write a guide to help others because we struggled so much getting our sites turned up.

I would like to add one thing.  Don't let the 7-Part thing scare you away

1. Part 1 is short and just an intro

2. Part 2 is all you need to have a full website

3. Part 3 walks you through changing the color/layout Theme so the site truly becomes your unique website

4. The other parts are added features like

* User Forum

* User Polls

* Animated GIF Banners

* Photo Album

* Favicon

* Trouble Shooting

* etc.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:55 AM
  • Part 7 – WWC (Whist Website Construction) has been posted.  This is the final document that is planned at this time.  Part 7 includes modules for a User Forum, User Polls and Secure Downloads functionality.

This can be found with the previous six parts at

http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/

Saturday, May 3, 2008 4:31 PM
  • If it has been awhile since you have visited the http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/ site, you should go take a quick look again.  If I am reading their stat counters right they have been fairly successful but that is not why another visit would be a good idea.

They have some new information and downloads you might find useful:

- They have a revised Starter Kit available for download.  It includes three new themes, each with animations.  And it has most of the fixes in Part 4 already done for you.

- If you have already started your site they have the three new themes as an add-on too

- They have added FAQ’s for the most frequent mistakes

- There is also a clearly marked Help section

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:34 AM
  •  

WWC – Complete 7-Part Package Posted as a single Document

This post is to let you know that the Complete 7-Part WWC (Whist/WHS Website Creation/Construction) Instruction has been posted as a single MS Word document.  The first page is a hyperlinked Table of Contents which adds greatly to the usefulness of the document.  Heck, we wrote the Instructions and sometimes we forget what is covered in each of the seven Parts.

Take a look at:  http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/

Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Please note that Google closed down the Google pages website noted above (http://whswebsite.googlepages.com/). This URL still works as of Nov 2009 via a transfer.  You might in the future need the new URL:

http://sites.google.com/site/whswebsite/

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:23 PM