D-Link DIR 655 Comments? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been thinking about replacing my Linksys WRT54GS with the D-Link DIR 655 because my linksys does not support remapping of port traffic from WAN to LAN.

Check out this emulator. There are lot of goodies, including exactly what I need, static port mapping.

Comments?

Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:40 AM

Answers

• The only thing that is holding me back is a draft N. IEEE has not standardized it. There could be a chance but not likely, it could be a brick...

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:28 PM

All replies

• I got a DIR655 in February when I upgraded my network to gigabit throughput and I really like it.  As you note, configuration is very flexible.  It is also very reliable.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:59 PM
  • I got mine about six weeks ago. I have used it to remap a port from outside the firewall to a specific machine and port on my LAN - it took a bit of head-scratching to do it, but that was because I often jump right in without reading instructions. After having done it once, I now see that it's a piece of cake.

The main reason that I got mine, though, was its great throughput. I have a cable modem with enhanced service that is rated at something like 30 mbps down and 5 mpbs up, and neither my old Netgear RT-314 nor my Linksys WRT54GS would allow me to get anywhere near the potential capacity of my Internet connection. The D-Link DIR 655 works like a charm - I have seen extended periods of ~24 mbps for downloads, and upwards of 4 mbps for uploads.

The only problem that I've had so far is that my laptop's wireless connection  is having problems (it's a Thinkpad T42 with built-in Intel wireless G) - it goes up, then down, then up again, then down, etc. I haven't bothered trying to troubleshoot it yet, because I don't need wireless in my house and got the router for its throughput and its gigabit wired network ports.

Friday, April 6, 2007 8:34 PM
  • The only thing that is holding me back is a draft N. IEEE has not standardized it. There could be a chance but not likely, it could be a brick...

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:28 PM
  • I've been running it for a couple of months and it's been very smooth.  Gigabit speed helps a lot with my two wired connections (incl WHS of course) and the previously-weak signals to the upstairs computer is now solid.  Haven't been able to setup remote access yet as my ISP is of the port-blocking variety.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 12:54 PM
  • I have a WRT54G (I think it's a V2, but I can't recall right now -- I'll have to go home and look at it).

I just flashed it (a month ago) with the Tomato firmware.  It was easy as pie (as it were) and kept all the previous settings I had, so I didn't have to do a ton of configuring after flashing it.  It may have what you need in it so you can save your pennies until this Draft N stuff settles down. Smile

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:56 PM
  • I bought a DIR655 yesterday when my Linksys crapped out on me. I love it. Super signal strength all over the house. It also has very robust features.

Don
    Friday, April 20, 2007 2:51 AM
  • I have the version 6 router and now I have flashed it with the 1.52 software port forwrding works fine.

Andrew

(WHS on C7 1.2ghz 500Mb Ram 400Gb hd and totally fanless case)

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:08 PM
  • A great router but you should know one thing not in the documentation.

If you experience slow downloads or downloads that slow down or stop after a short while, try disabling Traffic Shaping under QOS.   DIR-655 QOS Engine settings are under the advanced tab.  I have heard of this problem from people using Windows Home Server.

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:36 PM
  • I got this router and I have two gigabit adapters one on each end, one on WHS and the other on my main desktop. My speed when transferring a bunch of files over was like 13mbps. What settings do I have to play with?  Both computers say gigabit speed.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 4:05 PM