none
November update not installing RRS feed

• Question

•  I seem to be having a problem with the November update.  For whatever reason, this update is not installing.  I have automatic updates on and have tried doing a manual update also.  What other direction can I look at to find out why my server will not update?

Thank you,
    Randy
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:15 AM

Answers

• Randall Menges said:

Ken,
    This is what is listed right now:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1771.0

Thanks,
    Randy

First thing you need to do is uninstall the beta version of Power Pack 1.  Logon to your server desktop and go to Add/Remove Programs.  Make sure Show updates is checked.  Then look for PRE-RELEASE Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 (KB944289) and uninstall it.  Once you do that (and reboot the server), click the Update Now... button to get the final version of PP1.  Keep clicking Update Now... (and rebooting) until it says there are no new WHS updates.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:12 AM

All replies

• Randy, what versions are reported when you open the console and look at the Resources section of the Settings page?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks,
    Randy
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Randall Menges said:

Ken,

Thanks,
    Randy

First thing you need to do is uninstall the beta version of Power Pack 1.  Logon to your server desktop and go to Add/Remove Programs.  Make sure Show updates is checked.  Then look for PRE-RELEASE Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 (KB944289) and uninstall it.  Once you do that (and reboot the server), click the Update Now... button to get the final version of PP1.  Keep clicking Update Now... (and rebooting) until it says there are no new WHS updates.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:12 AM
  • I got this same problem, I uninstalled the patch but my connector is still not working either.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:19 AM
  • MackUser said:

I got this same problem, I uninstalled the patch but my connector is still not working either.

When you say you have this exact problem and you uninstalled the patch, were you running the beta version of Power Pack 1 and you uninstalled it? Or that you uninstalled the November QFE?

Can you be more specific? Also, how is your connector not working? What errors are being given?

Thank you.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:18 AM
  • I have this on my WHS:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Yet my Vista x64 SP1 laptop cannot upgrade the connector.  The tray icon came up red last night (or maybe it was the night before) and I attempted to upgrade but it always fails with the very informative (ie useless) message:

An error occurred

The operation cannot be completed at this time.

Please try again later.  If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

And then there's this helpful link to a trouble-shooting DOC file except then when I try to load it into Word 2007 it tells me the file is not valid (even an open and repair can't fix it).   Let me tell you - that's not a great end user experience.  BTW I have attempted to upgrade several more times with no success.  I have four other PCs connected (1 XP SP3, 2 Vista x86 SP1 and one Win7 Ultimate/PDC build) and their WHS icons are all green.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:37 AM
  • A bit more info, I was going to manually install the updated connector on my problematic laptop, but it told me to uninstall first.  I decided to check its version number and what I have installed is already 6.0.1800.0.  Isn't that the new version??  If so, why does it think it needs upgrading already?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Keith Hill said:

A bit more info, I was going to manually install the updated connector on my problematic laptop, but it told me to uninstall first.  I decided to check its version number and what I have installed is already 6.0.1800.0.  Isn't that the new version??  If so, why does it think it needs upgrading already?

No.  The newest version is 6.0.1800.24.  FYI, I had the same problem on mine.  I ended up running setup.exe from the Home Server Connector Software folder and it automatically uninstalled the old version, then installed the new one.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:57 AM
  • OK, I uninstalled the 6.0.1800.0 connector and copied the entire Home Server Connector Software folder onto a USB flash drive and ran setup on the laptop.  It seems to be happy now although the version installed was 6.0.1800.4.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:08 AM
  • BTW, thanks for your help on this!
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:08 AM
  • kariya21,
    Thank you for your help.  I did as you suggested: uninstalled PP1 beta, ran updates (consequently reinstalled PP1 beta again??), ran updates a second time after re-boot.  This installed the current release of PP1.  According to the Resource console, all is well and up to date.

Thank you again,
    Randy
    Monday, December 1, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Randall Menges said:

kariya21,
    Thank you for your help.  I did as you suggested: uninstalled PP1 beta, ran updates (consequently reinstalled PP1 beta again??)

No, that would have been the final version of PP1 (not beta).

Randall Menges said:

ran updates a second time after re-boot.  This installed the current release of PP1.  According to the Resource console, all is well and up to date.

Thank you again,
    Randy

Just to make sure, did you keep checking for updates through the Console until it said there were no new updates?

Monday, December 1, 2008 4:10 AM