Can no longer access my WHS from a Win 7 Ultimate 64 client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I had my WHS setup all working fine until a week or so ago, around about the time that I installed Windows Security Essentials on a client PC running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  This PC was accessing WHS just fine until then and I didn't change anything other than the Securiy Essentials install and my usual install of updates from Windows Update.

Now I can no longer access WHS from this client. It tells me the "referenced account is locked out". Sometimes I get a dialog that pops up saying the passwords don't match, even though the account has the same password on both, and this dialog rejects the password when I enter it for WHS, saying it is incorrect, when it isn't.

I have PP3 installed and IIRC I updated the connector software on all my clients when that happened.

Both machines are set to be in the same workgroup.

Things I have tried with no success:

- deleting and recreating the account on WHS
    - resetting the password on the account on WHS
    - reconfiguring the workgroup on the client machine

I'm stumped now. It is not just the user account; I also have an "admin" administrative account that is set up as a WHS account and that gives me the same issue, so it is happening on all acccounts on this machine.

I have other Win 7 Home Premium and Ultimate PCs in my house that also have the the same account and are not having this issue, so the account is not locked out. It seems like this one client is just not authenticating right or something.

Any ideas?

Friday, December 18, 2009 5:50 AM

Answers

• Well, I finally found the problem. Even though this machine is set to use NTP for its time, and the time was correct, for some reason the date was wrong by 7 days.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:17 AM

All replies

• Take a look at this FAQ and see if it helps.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:35 PM
  • No, I had already seen that and investigated that. It is not the name.

If I had to hazard a guess, it seems to me that even though my Win 7 Ult machine is configured as being part of a workgroup, it is trying to do domain based auth. One reason I think this is that I get a popup asking me to re-enter my credentials, and in that popup there is a username, password, and domain field, with the domain field pre-populated with the machine name (it is just a label; it is not editable).

It is not just the WHS connector now that is the problem. I have printers shared from my WHS box and I can no longer access them either, nor can I open any shares on the box in explorer.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:32 AM
  • BTW 'control userpasswords2' doesn't work on Win7 anyway
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:42 AM
  • I noticed that I I go into the computer administration section under control panel, and look at the local user accounts, there is a check box showing the account is locked out. If I uncheck that then I can get back to the state where I get prompted for credentials, but the credentials are still rejected.

I don't have a problem connecting the other way - I made a share on the Win 7 box, accessed it from WHS, was prompted for the credentials, and they were accepted just fine. Sigh.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:59 AM
  • I also uninstalled the connector software on Win7. I'm now trying to reinstall it (this is why I made the share in the last step, so I could copy the package over). When I get prompted for the home server password I get told the password I entered is incorrect. So this is a broad issue with authentication from the Win7 box to the WHS box, not at all tied to the user account.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:00 AM
  • Well, I finally found the problem. Even though this machine is set to use NTP for its time, and the time was correct, for some reason the date was wrong by 7 days.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:17 AM