Will we be able to update from one version of Vail beta to another or even to the final? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious if we run this preview if it will be possible to upgrade to newer beta releases as they come out or even to the final release from beta without having to do a new install?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:47 PM

Answers

• What Bulat said. However, you _can_ work around the worst of it. I have a four drive setup here. System drive is 250 GB, and gets partitioned by Vail as 60 GB for the C: drive, and the rest of the drive is added to the Server Storage pool. Anything that is ONLY stored on that disk will be toasted by a new build. But everything else shows up as "Non Default Storage", and works just fine. Once you're back up, simply move the contents of non-default storage over to default storage, and remove the disks from the non-default storage pool to the Server Storage pool.

(and yes, I _REALLY_ wish this had an automated way to do it. As it is, it's a RPITA!)

"fandibus" wrote in message news:eee457f9-3fc5-46a3-94a2-456bfdfb79ec...
    I'm curious if we run this preview if it will be possible to upgrade to newer beta releases as they come out or even to the final release from beta without having to do a new install?

Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Actually, there *is* an easier way to do this -- if you don't have 'default storage', 'non-default storage' can be promoted to 'default storage', retaining all data.

However (and that was the intended meaning of my post) this operation is not guaranteed to work correctly (or at all) if 'non-default storage' was created by a different pre-release build. I actually think that we should increment the on-disk schema version right before RTM specifically to prevent migration of data created by pre-release builds.

Bulat Shelepov, Test Lead (Drive Extender), Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:05 AM

All replies

• Please don't even try. Drive Extender (among other things) is still under very active development, and we can't guarantee that the on-disk format stays the same between now and the final release.

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:17 PM
  • What Bulat said. However, you _can_ work around the worst of it. I have a four drive setup here. System drive is 250 GB, and gets partitioned by Vail as 60 GB for the C: drive, and the rest of the drive is added to the Server Storage pool. Anything that is ONLY stored on that disk will be toasted by a new build. But everything else shows up as "Non Default Storage", and works just fine. Once you're back up, simply move the contents of non-default storage over to default storage, and remove the disks from the non-default storage pool to the Server Storage pool.

(and yes, I _REALLY_ wish this had an automated way to do it. As it is, it's a RPITA!)

"fandibus" wrote in message news:eee457f9-3fc5-46a3-94a2-456bfdfb79ec...
    I'm curious if we run this preview if it will be possible to upgrade to newer beta releases as they come out or even to the final release from beta without having to do a new install?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Actually, there *is* an easier way to do this -- if you don't have 'default storage', 'non-default storage' can be promoted to 'default storage', retaining all data.

However (and that was the intended meaning of my post) this operation is not guaranteed to work correctly (or at all) if 'non-default storage' was created by a different pre-release build. I actually think that we should increment the on-disk schema version right before RTM specifically to prevent migration of data created by pre-release builds.

Bulat Shelepov, Test Lead (Drive Extender), Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Hmmm. I'd be interested in how you promote non-default to default. I haven't seen that option. Merely in the interests of testing, of course.

When we go RTM, I'll build from scratch.

"BulatS [MSFT]" wrote in message news:d65ab435-0171-4966-9b46-ef14a29ef284...

Actually, there *is* an easier way to do this -- if you don't have 'default storage', 'non-default storage' can be promoted to 'default storage', retaining all data.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:36 AM
  • This option appears only when there's no default storage -- for that, all drives must be removed from the storage through the admin console, including the system one (in Vail, you can 'remove' the system drive from storage, thus keeping the system volume isolated on a separate physical disk). After that, an option to promote appears after you connect a set of disks created on a different server.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Ah. Well, not a big deal, but it would be nice to have a way to do this easily once we get to RTM. A re-install shouldn't be a major PITA.

"BulatS [MSFT]" wrote in message news:7d2757ad-164c-4d9e-a296-ad1c5f727880...
    This option appears only when there's no default storage -- for that, all drives must be removed from the storage through the admin console, including the system one (in Vail, you can 'remove' the system drive from storage, thus keeping the system volume isolated on a separate physical disk). After that, an option to promote appears after you connect a set of disks created on a different server.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:18 PM
  • I actually think that we should increment the on-disk schema version right before RTM specifically to prevent migration of data created by pre-release builds.

Why would you do that??  I bought WHS v1 intending to put it on a newly purchased box, only to find out my ATA controller wasn't supported and since I had no floppy I couldn't install drivers.  I was intending to install this version and then purchase the final and migrate my data at this time.  Your idea seems to be targeted at screwing your beta testers who want to purchase the final release.  Seriously, are you suggesting this just to be a jerk?
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:42 AM
  • We still haven't locked the on-disk format, and we still have months of development and testing ahead of us. You really don't want to be a victim of nasty and difficult to investigate bugs stemming from subtle differences in on-disk structures between beta and RTM versions of Vail. Especially since the only response you'd get from support would be 'unsupported configuration, please recreate your storage using the final version of the product'.

I'd rather see people upset because they had to reinstall once every major release than because their server isn't working as intended for three years as it tries to plow through some ugly kind of frankenstorage.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:35 AM
  • In addition to what Bulat has said, I'll point out that this version of Vail, and every version until RTM, is not supported in production. If you choose to use it in production anyway, as I will be doing once I've added some storage to my test server, you should accept that you'll have some upgrade issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:25 AM
  • .. and I can confirm that a promoted non-default disk set from a previous Vail release has problems with identifying free space and reports all the disks af full.  All the files are accessable but Dashboard seems to be very confused.

Once I report the bug(?), I'm going to have to copy everything off, remove the storage and re-create it - not ideal, but it is BETA I guess so I'm ok with that.

Friday, April 30, 2010 3:21 PM