Microdrive on PCMCIA is not visible in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a work laptop and I keep my personal files on a 4 GB microdrive, using a PCMCIA adaptor. The microdrive is viewed as a normal drive by Win XP Sp2, and it's formatted with NTFS. My WHS can see the C drive for my laptop, but not the microdrive. Any idea why?

Thanks!

George
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:10 AM

Answers

• Hello George,
    hard to say, I can only speculate and ask some questions.
    Maybe the drive propagates a type, which is not supportd by Windows Home Server. In this case it would be an option, to create a job (either based on ntbackup or on robocopy script or something similar) to backup the contents of this drive to a shared folder on your WHS.
    You already tried the option to click Configure Backup in the WHS console with the PCMCIA drive active in the laptop to get it detected?
    Also what is the power save status in device manager for drive/controller? Does it work better, if  you disable the option that the computer may power off the device to save power?
    What for a label has the volume on the disk? In one thread has been reported, that the volume name "Data" causes a similar misbehavior (new disk detected, but declared as not eligible for backup).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hello George,
    hard to say, I can only speculate and ask some questions.
    Maybe the drive propagates a type, which is not supportd by Windows Home Server. In this case it would be an option, to create a job (either based on ntbackup or on robocopy script or something similar) to backup the contents of this drive to a shared folder on your WHS.
    You already tried the option to click Configure Backup in the WHS console with the PCMCIA drive active in the laptop to get it detected?
    Also what is the power save status in device manager for drive/controller? Does it work better, if  you disable the option that the computer may power off the device to save power?
    What for a label has the volume on the disk? In one thread has been reported, that the volume name "Data" causes a similar misbehavior (new disk detected, but declared as not eligible for backup).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:24 AM
  • Hello Olaf,

Thanks for your input.
    I can definitely find a solution for doing a backup to one of the shared folders, but it's inconvenient, to say the least.
    I've used an USB drive (NTFS formatted) and it's visible to WHS if I put it on one of the Vista Home Premium desktops that we have, but not on my laptop (XP SP2). Doesn't make sense to me...
    Anyhow, the microdrive name is not Data and it can't be seen at all. The power settings are not the culprit either.

I guess I'll start looking into a job for backing it up to a shared folder...

Greetings from San Diego,
    George
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:29 PM