Using MS iscsi initiator RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 1.5 TB SAN currently in my lab and I am trying to utilize the iscsi initiator to present WHS with 2 200GB scsi discs.

Currently, they show up in disc-manager fine and they show up in Device Manager as SCSI discs but for some odd reason, they never show up in the WHS console. I know that they avg. home user isn't going to use iscsi as back-end storage, but for testing purposes I would like to know why the WHS console refuses to recognize these as valid discs.

Thanks

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:14 AM

All replies

• Have you tried rebooting the WHS?  I had a problem with a 2nd USB drive that wouldn't show, but when I rebooted the disk showed up in the console.  I'm not really familiar with iSCSI, so I don't know how much help I'll be.  But I don't think that DASD attached by iSCSI will be supported as far as all the documentation I've read.  SATA, ATA, USB, Firewire yes - iSCSI ... not so much?  Good luck with it though ...

- Jim

Friday, March 2, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I've done the reboot dance a couple times. The only thing that I can think of that could be causing the problem is that any disc provided by iscsi won't show up until the network stack starts up. This normally comes after "regular" discs are presented to the system. What remains then is whether or not this is a bug. I can't see that it would be kosher for the need to reboot anytime an external disc is added in order for WHS to see it properly.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:22 PM
  • It's not kosher and it is a bug - I just didn't get a chance to report it before I found a work-around. Not sure if submitting TALQ info now would be worthwhile. And if W2K3 normally sees iSCSI disk as network disk, then it probably won't work. Does iSCSI disk show as a local disk in a working environment? Is that the way it's supposed to work?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:35 PM
  •  kurt-o wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've done the reboot dance a couple times. The only thing that I can think of that could be causing the problem is that any disc provided by iscsi won't show up until the network stack starts up. This normally comes after "regular" discs are presented to the system. What remains then is whether or not this is a bug. I can't see that it would be kosher for the need to reboot anytime an external disc is added in order for WHS to see it properly.
    Personally, I doubt that SAN storage will ever be a supported scenario for WHS. This is a home server OS: how many people have SAN technology in their houses?

That said, the fact that SAN disks don't show up until after the network stack is initialized is probably why WHS won't show them to you. Once the network stack is initialized, shares are made available on the network, and Drive Extender has to be in place to manage data transfers. It can't manage disks it can't see yet.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:37 PM