none
how to run a parallel program on two virtual machines(win 7) using msmpi? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to run a parallel program on two virtual machines(with exact same win 7 operating system) in VMware using MSMPI. I've installed HpcClient.msi and msmpi.exe in both VMs. I've shared a folder between two VMs and copied the mpitest1.exe file in it. the network of both my Vms is NAT and they successfully ping each other. I've turned off the firewall. but I get these errors

command:

c:\share>mpiexec -hosts 2 192.168.153.132 1 192.168.153.131 1 mpitest1.exe

Error:

aborting: mpiexec on WIN-TVKSSTKLAR5 is unable to connect to msmpi service on 192.168.153.132:8677
    other MPI error,error stack:
    unable to connect  to 192.168.153.132 on port 8677, exhausted all endpoints
    unable to connect  to 192.168.153.132 on port 8677, No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.  <errno 10061>

What should I do or Is there any other way to run mpi program on a cluster of two VMs? I've searched a lot but didn't find any algorithm to do so on two VMs with exact same windows 7.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:08 AM

All replies

• Unless your workstations are managed by an HPC head node as workstation nodes, you'll need to manually run smpd.exe on each one.

Note that the user that runs smpd must be the same as the user that runs mpiexec.

You will then need to add a firewall exception for your application (mpitest1.exe in your example).

Hope that helps!
    -Fab

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:33 PM
  • tanx for your answer.

Now there's another problem. when I type smpd.exe in the cmd, I get the help for this file, so it exists and is known; but when I  go to <installdir>\bin and enter smpd.exe -remove i get this:

unknown option -remove

How can I get smpd.exe running?

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Sorry, I should have indicated how to run smpd.  This is what we refer to as SDK mode, traditionally targeted at software developers testing in multi-machine environments.  I believe MPICH refers to this as debug mode.  To launch smpd in SDK mode, add '-d' to the command line.

-Fab

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:36 PM
  • hi

Tanx for your answers. I did all you said and It worked :)

Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:59 AM