synctoy 2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, I have recently bought a new pc with Vista (all the others are xp) and proceeded to install Synctoy on the pc today. Found out that the new version is 2. I tried an echo of my photo database around 12k  files from a network box (fast ethernet) to a usb connect box, i task which i did quite reasonably before.  This time round, it took ages to do and I notice that it took command of all my quad processors, 100% load, and after two hours running it used up a gig of memory.  Progress is still less than halfway. I set affinity to one processor only to free up my other processor. Than i noticed that a lot of the time, it seems to wait a long while stuck at copying one files. something appers to hang for eternity, and suddenly at other time it gather momentum and burst up around a dozen files than stop again.  I then stop the process, kill synctoy and restart it. It will do the checking and process with a gust for a while before  slowing donw again. I don't remember having these kind of problem before on my xp installation of older synctoy. 

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is a really long thread on some performance issues in SyncToy 2.0 Beta here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3800920&SiteID=75

Suffice to say, we believe we have fixed the key issues in 2.0 release.  One thing to remember is that the first sync with 12K files will take a long time as it builds up the metadata database, however from that point on it should go much quicker.

I am not sure about the file hanging but certainly would be interested to hear your findings on a second sync once it finally completes.

Liam

Monday, September 22, 2008 8:21 PM