vista product key is invalid...... RRS feed

• Question

• At this point in my day I am very upset with the utmost lack of customer service by Microsoft and HP. I got the "blue screen of death last tuesday and went a merry go round with customer service from Microsoft and HP about how to fix this issue. It came down to HP saying that I needed to do a restore on my computer. So I had to wait 3 days for them to get the damn restore discs out to me, and when they got here, the system says that the discs are not compatible with my system. I am at my wits end with this situation and am almost to the point of pulling an "Office Space" type visit with my computer that isn't even a year old. Is there anything that I can do to get my computer up and running again? After talking to about 15 east indian Customer service reps, and them telling me I am S.O.L, I don't know what else to do. Please help.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hello osiris29,

In the subject line it says "Vista Product Key is Invalid", but in the post, it appears that the stopping point in resolving your issue is that the disks sent from HP "are not compatible with my system".

I would very much like to help you resolve your issue, but I am at a loss as to how I can help you with the disks sent from HP. If I have misunderstood your issue, please provide a detailed description of the Windows Genuine Advanatge Validation issue that you are currently experiencing.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:05 PM
  • I just purchased an open box HP DV6265ca and it says the same thing, after contacting HP and doing a full system recovery, I get the same message "product key you typed is invalid for activation."  I have re-entered the key off of the Windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop, and verified that I have the correct version of Windows Vista installed (Home Premium in this case). Microsoft has advised me to purchase a new product key or pay $59.99 for a support instance. This is very frustrating. I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my deskop and Windows Vista Ultimate on my girlfriends Toshiba and have never experinced this issue. To think I have collectively spent over $2000 on Microsoft software this year and the answer I get is buy a new key. Who do you turn to in this instance?

- Very frustrated Microsoft customer

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hello osiris29,

In the subject line it says "Vista Product Key is Invalid", but in the post, it appears that the stopping point in resolving your issue is that the disks sent from HP "are not compatible with my system".

I would very much like to help you resolve your issue, but I am at a loss as to how I can help you with the disks sent from HP. If I have misunderstood your issue, please provide a detailed description of the Windows Genuine Advanatge Validation issue that you are currently experiencing.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:05 PM
  • I just purchased an open box HP DV6265ca and it says the same thing, after contacting HP and doing a full system recovery, I get the same message "product key you typed is invalid for activation."  I have re-entered the key off of the Windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop, and verified that I have the correct version of Windows Vista installed (Home Premium in this case). Microsoft has advised me to purchase a new product key or pay $59.99 for a support instance. This is very frustrating. I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my deskop and Windows Vista Ultimate on my girlfriends Toshiba and have never experinced this issue. To think I have collectively spent over $2000 on Microsoft software this year and the answer I get is buy a new key. Who do you turn to in this instance?

- Very frustrated Microsoft customer

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:39 AM
  •  

I had to finally box up the paper weight of a computer that I own and send it to HP. I will never ever buy HP products again, and most likely will not buy any microsoft products again. This is too much *** to deal with when we already spent way too much for technology that doesn't work any ways. I will most likely be an apple customer from now on. Sorry I can't help besides saying that if you are tired of dealing with the non-english speaking customer service, You can yell at them until they escalate your case and then you will get a real american on the phone within a couple days. good luck with your fun situation.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 3:50 AM
  • Wow, just wanted to let you know of the exceptional service I got from Future Shop. I took the laptop into them and the tech's took it in for 30 minutes or so, contacted Microsoft and HP, and had the problem solved. Great service!

Saturday, September 29, 2007 8:26 AM
  •  Darin Smith MS wrote:

Hello osiris29,

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

I just bought a great new PC from CyberPower but had problems with Vista Home Premium almost immediately.  I decided that best thing to do was to reload those operating system because I had made some changes in drivers and loaded a few programs.  When I tried to do so I also got the message that my Windows key was invalid.  Is this a standard way that Microsoft is treating people who have to reload their operating system?  I'm beginning to sense that I should have stayed with WIN XP Pro or perhaps go to Linux.
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:50 PM