Shuttle KPC K45 as a WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone used the Shuttle KPC45 with WHS? I need a small home server for file backups and storage. I have 3 PC's on my wireless(G)  network using a Netgear WG614 Router. One is running Vista 64, One XP Media Center, and one running XP. My storage needs are not that great now but would like to build for the future. Minimal video streaming on the server also. I tried the NAS route but was very disappointed

Breakdown:

Shuttle KPC K45

Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz CPU

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 Memory

One WD Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB 5400 to 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA HDD

Microsoft Windows Home Server 32 Bit

Any feedback appreciated

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:58 PM

All replies

• Yes, I built my server using the K45 following Donavan West's instructions

I upgraded the RAM (2GB), the processor (E2180 2.0Ghz) and the HDD's (dual WD Caviar GP 500GB eSATA).

My only complaint is the heat generated.  There is no ICE Genie cooler for the barebones version, but they say it's going to be out as a separate accessory soon.  It should be quiter and cooler after I add the ICE Genie.

If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.   

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I was thinking of putting two HDD's in the box but thought it may be overkill for my present use and was also concerned the PS may not like both drives. I suppose more heat would be generated by the second drive. As of now, the 500G drive may be enough or maybe go to a 750G drive. I am trying to keep power consumption down as much as possible. Still doing reseach on the system but so far the K45 looks very promising.  I thought it would be a good candidate for WHS and an energy saver for a small system.

One question: Any problems with the two drives? I suppose a second SATA cable would be needed.  How long was the cable you used? I believe there are two SATA inputs on the MB.

Thanks again and I will check out your link.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:34 PM
  •  neutron spin wrote:

One question: Any problems with the two drives? I suppose a second SATA cable would be needed.  How long was the cable you used? I believe there are two SATA inputs on the MB.

Thanks again and I will check out your link.

It has two eSATA ports on the motherboard, but (oddly) only one power plug for an eSATA drive, so you'll need at least two eSATA cables and one IDE to eSATA power converter to run two eSATA drives. 

If you two buy two OEM WD GP drives (as I did, with the hopes of conserving at least some power), I picked up an eSATA data and power combo cable for like $3.  The KPC comes with one eSATA cable and that cable with the combo cable were sufficient.

If you buy two retail drives at your local retailer, you'll need to buy a power converter as the retail drives have eSATA cables, but not power converters.

The KPC is about the size of a toaster (it really is small) so the shorter the cable the better.  You don't want loose cables  making contact with the CPU fan.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:47 PM
  •  neutron spin wrote:

I was thinking of putting two HDD's in the box but thought it may be overkill for my present use and was also concerned the PS may not like both drives.

I was concerned about backing up the server in addition to the computers on the network so I added a second drive and turned on file duplication through WHS.  It was the safety and protection of my 170 gigs of music that prompted me to add the second drive, so to each their own.

And don't worry about the small form factor of the KPS and it's perceived lack of power.  That little thing packs a helluva punch.  The Dual Core with 2 GB RAM was overkill on my part, but I wanted it to last a while before I had to do any upgrades.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:54 PM
  • I am not sure if you can run RAID on WHS...I think not.  What exactly is "file duplication" in WHS? 

If it gives me more file backup safety the two drives may be what I need.  Thanks again.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  neutron spin wrote:
    I am not sure if you can run RAID on WHS...I think not.  What exactly is "file duplication" in WHS? 

If it gives me more file backup safety the two drives may be what I need.  Thanks again.

You're right, it's definitely not RAID (which can be good and bad).  RAID has a few limitations/difficulties that WHS Disk Extender handles instead for the lay person.

WHS forum rockstar Ken Warren explains how File Duplication works and why two drives can be better than one in this thread

It was enough for me to run two drives file Automatic File Duplication turned on.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:34 AM
  • FYI...

I've revised my Build a $400 Green Windows Home Server article.

The parts list for a KPC Windows Home Server is now only $379.

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:04 PM
  • I built mine WHS with the KPC K45 as well. The heat hasn't been too much of a problem yet although i did screw a fan in the inside back of the case to push air out of it. Anything to give it a little more air movement is better than nothing.

Here's setup
    KPC case - Silver :-)
    C2D E7200 2.53G
    2gb ram
    320gb sys drive - had already
    750gb Seagate 7200.11 secondary drive - purchased
    1TB Seagate 7200.11 ext USB - purchased
    USB pci care - had an extra laying around.

I installed WHS and then removed the dvd drive and plugged in the 750gb drive.

It only has a 100w power supply, so you're fairly limited obviously, but for a WHS it seems great. Overall, i'm pretty happy with it and it nice and quite.  Although it would have been nice if they'd included some type of cooling for it.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:32 AM
  • I considered the Shuttle KPC K45 for my new WHS build. I have two Shuttle systems currently running in my home, one several years old and one fairly recent. I actually own one of the first MBs Shuttle produced in the SFF, before they decided they wouldn't sell just the MBs.  Shuttle makes a good solid SFF PC, and in general, I have had good luck with them. However, they use proprietary MBs and PSs, so if one fails you are at the mercy of Shuttle, and in all honesty, it is not much more money to replace the entire barebones than the PS if it fails. Also, that 100 watt PS in the 45, plus the lack of the great ICE system, made me scratch the K45 off my list. The other Shuttle models were just too expensive, too limited on expansion, and too proprietary for my build. If I was only using my WHS for backups and limited file server action, then the K45 would be great. Good luck with your build.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:08 PM
  • I've had a Shuttle SD11G5 running as a WHS for a year now. It is based on laptop chips (Pentium M/Celeron M, 915GM) and makes a good WHS platform.

The power 220W supply is an external brick (no fan). There is a cooling fan at the back of the box, software controlled. By removing the CD drive (can boot from USB if need be) and a bit of creativity, I have managed to shoehorn four 3.5" disks inside. Internal temps stay below 50C. It runs very quiet.

The SD11G5 is no longer sold by Shuttle, but you can still find them out in the retail channel, and on eBay.

Shuttle SD11G5
    Pentium M 780 2.26GHz
    2GB Kingston ValueRAM
    4 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS
    Windows Home Server PP1
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:40 PM