I haven't used my server in a while, before I could install .exe and.msi files now I can't. What can I do? RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't used my server in a while, before I could install .exe and.msi files now I can't. I need to test some things with a diagnostic program. This is a custom built server not an HP. I get the message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I'm assuming this is an update that was applied.... What can I do to fix it. All permissions are correct. Thanks

I used to login directly now I RDP.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:10 PM

All replies

• You can try:
    • Copy the file you want to run to your desktop.
    • Right click and select Properties.
    • Select the Security tab (I think, not in a position to check).
    • Click Unblock.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Unblock didn't work but copying to the Desktop did. Why would this be? I've only seen this in WHS.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:37 PM
  • There are two factors. First is that you downloaded the original file using Internet Explorer. Second is that "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Mode" is enabled on your server. This blocks the execution of files from file shares, and files that have been downloaded. My recommendation is to just copy to the desktop and unblock (you probably unblocked first, then copied?).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Now is this new to WHS or has this been the default for RDP sessions?
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Now is this new to WHS or has this been the default for RDP sessions?

This is standard for not only WHS, but all versions of Server 2003 (and I believe all other modern MS server OSes as well).
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:35 AM