Live Mesh Beta CPU Usage Really High RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since I updated to the latest release I have noticed that the Moe.exe process will max out one of my cores when doing a simple sync to the live mesh desktop. This is quite annoying as it means that I have to go into offline mode whenever I want to play a game or do something else intensive. It also makes my cpu fan spin up etc.

Have other people noticed this problem?

I'm running on Vista x64 with SP1 and have a Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.5ghz.

Thanks

-Ben Childs
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

• Yes. I noticed however that it maxed out all my cores, which basically rendered the system unusable until I quit the Moe.exe process. I narrowed it down to uploading files only, not sure if this is what you saw?

Vista x64 SP1 also.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:50 AM
  • I have Vista x64 SP1 on C2D E8400 and haven't seen this problem? I wonder what is different...

Was it a p2p sync or a cloud sync?
    Luke K - Microsoft MSP
    • Edited by Luke K Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:56 PM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:54 PM
  • I had the same issue, on Vista x64 SP1.  It was syncing a folder full of jpegs up to the cloud, and consuming 90% or more CPU total on a quad-core laptop.  As soon as the upload finished, moe.exe went idle.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:15 PM
  • It was a cloud sync.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Anyone seeing excessive CPU use by Live Mesh: If you wouldn't mind, please collect logs (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums) as soon as you see the CPU use spike, and send them to us at lmprev@microsoft.com, ATTN: High CPU Use - Logs Request.

We appreciate your help testing Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Confirming the problem - my PC also uses 90% CPU on all of my cores (Intel quad core processor). Will send the logs to the address provided above.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 9:17 AM
  • This happens to me when I wake my laptop from sleep.  I have to wait 10 minutes before its usable.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi,

Anyone seeing excessive CPU use by Live Mesh: If you wouldn't mind, please collect logs (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums) as soon as you see the CPU use spike, and send them to us at lmprev@microsoft.com, ATTN: High CPU Use - Logs Request.

We appreciate your help testing Live Mesh,

Ben.

Mine are included in bug 381704 (https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=381704)

Monday, December 1, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Confirming. Mesh makes my laptop CPU run at 90%.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Confirming. Mesh makes my laptop CPU run at 90%.

For how long? What antivirus software are you running?
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Hello,
    I use W7 64Bit, Live Mesh and Security Essentials. Live Mesh uses > 28% CPU power and gets it up to a total of 100% so the system is more or less useless until I kill Moe.exe  (read: Closing Live Mesh in systray will not solve the issue, I need to kill it through task manager). I can either kill the process or shutdown the computer, otherwise it takes countless weeks and the problem will not solve itself here. I sync about 2 TB of data between 3 PCs.

Andreas
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Hello,
    I use W7 64Bit, Live Mesh and Security Essentials. Live Mesh uses > 28% CPU power and gets it up to a total of 100% so the system is more or less useless until I kill Moe.exe  (read: Closing Live Mesh in systray will not solve the issue, I need to kill it through task manager). I can either kill the process or shutdown the computer, otherwise it takes countless weeks and the problem will not solve itself here. I sync about 2 TB of data between 3 PCs.

Andreas

That's an excessive amount of data and I expect that it is consuming CPU as it reads through the hash data for every single file in your Mesh folders....
    The best I can suggest is that you submit a bug report with logs:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Mine runs in bursts. It will be okay for a second, then all four cores will jump up to 60% for a second or two. It's not even syncing anything.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:12 AM