Possible to go below 512 MB RAM? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old IBM Aptiva with a Pentium III running at 800 mhz and 384 MB of RAM and 200 GB hard drive. When I try to install WHS the installation program says that the pc must have 512 MB RAM to have WHS installed. Is there a workaround to try it with the 384 MB of RAM  that the pc has? I do not want to upgrade the RAM to to that the pc is so old.  

Thanks in advance!

Friday, March 23, 2007 10:58 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid you'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade the RAM.  Check eBay, you might be able to find some 256MB PC100 or 133 DIMMs cheap used.  You don't want to run a 2K3-based OS with less than 512MB.  Some have found WHS to function with less than 512MB after installing WHS with borrowed RAM, but I can't see that as being a good idea, it would become way too dependent on the paging file. 

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:28 AM

All replies

• I'm afraid you'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade the RAM.  Check eBay, you might be able to find some 256MB PC100 or 133 DIMMs cheap used.  You don't want to run a 2K3-based OS with less than 512MB.  Some have found WHS to function with less than 512MB after installing WHS with borrowed RAM, but I can't see that as being a good idea, it would become way too dependent on the paging file. 

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Maybe you can borrow some for the install?  I would bet that it would work with 384 once you get past the installation stage.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Eventhough the core (Windows 2003) can run with 256 MB of RAM I'd highly recommend against it. You should be able to get some extra memory really cheap on the internet. Or even scrounge some other PC's. You may indeed be able to get past the installation-check by using borrowed RAM but performance will be sub-par.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 2:22 PM
  • What about the other side...how does adding 1GB or more of RAM help the WHS?
    Monday, March 26, 2007 6:25 PM
  • RAM is primarily of use in applications that need to manipulate large amounts of data. Games, databases, and graphics software are all good examples. Serving up files, managing backups, etc., are not those sorts of applications. I honestly can't see a need for more than 1 GB of RAM in a WHS machine. A faster processor, faster disks, or a faster home network would be of use, however. Those are the main bottlenecks for WHS.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:35 PM
  • I was able to break the 512Mb requirement by allowing the install to copy all the neccessary files from the DVD on a system with 512Mb installed and then turning off the system and moving the hard drive to my slowest computer....a Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz w/256Mb and it is running just fine.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:42 AM
  • It really doesn't seem to need more than a gig...I have 1GB on my WHS machine (2.66GHz Celeron D, LGA775) and the Task Mangler shows 470MB free most of the time, so that seems to be a comfortable sweet spot.  I don't see a need to go above that, and 512 should be perfectly fine for what WHS does.  I haven't looked at RAM usage during backup jobs (I'm usually in bed when those are running<vbg>) but I'll do a manual one at some point and watch it.

But just as I don't think it's the best idea to run with less than 512MB, I also don't see a need to go beyond 1GB...WHS runs happy as a clam with that.  I do think that the stability of most computer systems is enhanced if you have more than the recommended minimum RAM, as far as that goes, but usually doubling the minimum gets you in the sweet spot in most cases. 

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Smart workaround!

At what point did you stop the setup routine and move the drive?  After the blue-screen that says "Windows 2003 Small Business Server Setup"?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 4:24 AM
  • I installed WHS on my old P3 1ghz with borrowed ram up to 512. After the install was complete and all set up, i took out half the ram and rebooted. System is working fine and actually quite responsive. With faster HDD i don't see running with only 256 of ram a problem
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:24 AM
  • My fresh install of the CTP uses around 550-560mb pretty consistent. Looking at the list of running services, I think this could be trimmed down some but I'm assuming there will be some add-ons that I want to run so I would think anthing > 512 should give you pretty good performance and leave room for more features.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 12:44 AM