Windows7 activation error, activation scam or legit? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all again, I really need your help now.

As we confirmed yesterday that I was using a non valid windows key I decided to solve it.
    Everytime I clicked on the Windows Update menu, a popup titled "Optional update delivery is not working" appeared. It had a link on it (Go online and resolve now), so I clicked it and it took me apparently to a microsoft store (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate...)
    The Microsoft solution was to pruchase a valid license, so I purchased it there.

However, Im worried now: I hope I was not victim of a scam, because I called microsoft and they told me that their prders dont start with 300xxx  like mine, and the only email on the order page was from "wga@msdirectservices.com"

I sent and email there and the email thread is posted below. Should I be worried? is this a standard procedure?
    The guy is asking me to wait for 2 days, but I gave my creadit card details...jsut imagine

Any input will be much appreatiated guys.

EMAIL:
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    this is the email from wga@msdirectservices.com in response to mine (bottom)
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Please notice that if you do not receive your Product key in 2 working
    days, you may contact us again and we will investigate your case
    further.

Thank you very much for your understanding and patience in this matter.

Kind regards,

Konstantinos Tsirikas
    Microsoft Direct Services Team
    E-mail:    wga@msdirectservices.com
    Phone:    0844 800 2400
    Fax:     0049 5241 1795 017

Microsoft highly recommends that users with Internet access update their
    Microsoft software to protect against viruses and security
    vulnerabilities. The easiest way to do this is to visit the following

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
     Original Message Follows: ------------------------
     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Gents,

I ordered this morning (4 hours ago)  a Windows7 Ultimate from your
    webpage and I still havent received the Windows key
    Could you pelase tell me when I will receive it?

My order : ORDER #300*********
     Name: Daniel Lopez Sainz

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

In case the email is remove: the domain name is "msdirectservices.com" and what goes before the @ "wga"

thanks

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• The website does appear to be affiliated with MFST, Redmond WA.  This appears to be a European affiliate that handles online sales for Microsoft (based in Germany).

Googling on "msdirectservices.com" leads to quite a few links such as

http://www.robtex.com/dns/www.msdirectservices.com.html

https://partner.microsoft.com/40027219

http://www.microsoft.com/education/msitacademy/itapcontactus.mspx

and so on. 

http://www.robtex.com/dns/msdirectservices.com.html#summary

Shows that msdirectservices.com is a domain controlled by five name servers at msft.net

Take a look at the Alexa info on msft.net here.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/msft.net

It all points to Microsoft.  This does not look a scam to me.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:26 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Cbarnhost, hope youre right, and thx again (like yesterday) for answering so quickly, will keep you updated. Its the first time I deal with microsoft sales and must say that it ***** (censored myself lol). Ive spent hours today on the phone trying to get somebody to inform me with no luck, lame.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Back again, I did finally receive an email with a new product key. To save headaches for future customers, Microsoft should learn a little bit about other tech companies(with fruity logos for isntance) and deveote more resources to customer service. Called microsoft.com web store this morning and they told me that my order was not from microsoft because it started with 300 and their orders dont...called another department , this time MSN and they told me that was not their business that I should contact the seller!, again called another time, this time to microsoft france, from there they transfered me to UK and from there again to france; I sent an email to microsoft support as well and a guy told me more or less that the email was fake!!!!...chaos, disorganization, a real disaster.

Microsoft does make good products, but the customer service is horrible. In the end, the best, second to none support Ive got has been from talented individuals helping other people on their free time, fantastic Microsoft, what a fabolous business modell you have.

Thx again Colin!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Daniel,

Microsoft US responds promptly with the product key and link to download the software.  Apparently you are dealing with a fulfillment company where you live.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Daniel ,

I know exactly how you feel!! I actually went into a retail store and purchased my disk right off the shelf, I left the store and went straight home installed Win 7 on to my computer and of course went directly to Microsoft to be told that it was not genuine. I guess that WALMART is selling fakes now too!?! I have everything, Both disks that came with the upgrade, as well as the Key with all the holograms and crap on it, and my purchase reciept!  I called in to get help with this matter to be told , after FOUR HOURS of holding transferring , being called crazy and hung up on, that I would have to buy another!!!  I THINK NOT!!!!! I believe it is getting to be an awful awful world when people with GENUINE products are being turned away and told that they have no other choice but to repurchase.

I have been a loyal windows user for many years, I truly do love Windows 7, and I really do hate the fact that Microsoft is treating innocent people the way that they are.  It is looking like microsoft is not going to support the problems that are going on with Windows 7. I am very disappointed in the customer service that I got and I am not kidding about being called crazy and hung up on!!! 100% TRUE

All I am asking is where are we suposed to turn for help?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:45 AM
  • knowinthepain,

There are many reasons windows may go non-genuine.

Please post in your own thread for proper attention.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi there. While not wishing to add to the rude remarks about Microsoft (merely to lend my complete support to them), it may be of interest that I tried to e-mail WGA@msdirectservices.com today (several times) to be told by the mail server (5.5.0) that the domain is missing or malformed: I should check the message recipient and try again. Well no luck so far. (Incidentally this arose because in trying to get help from support.microsoft.com I was told that my product ID number had expired - this for W7 Ultimate bought on 23 September 2011.) If only I had time to learn Linux - and did not have to use Micros**t for my work.

LiVe1AdJ1

• Edited by adj99 Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:43 PM correct grammar
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Oh, and when I tried to be alerted to new posts on this thread, I was told that this would not be possible and I should try later.

LiVe1AdJ1

Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:45 PM
  • "adj99" wrote in message news:2d37b0c6-3566-42b4-afc4-50f509277bd5...
    Hi there. While not wishing to add to the rude remarks about Microsoft (merely to lend my complete support to them), it may be of interest that I tried to e-mail WGA@msdirectservices.com today (several times) to be told by the mail server (5.5.0) that the domain is missing or malformed: I should check the message recipient and try again. Well no luck so far. (Incidentally this arose because in trying to get help from support.microsoft.com I was told that my product ID number had expired - this for W7 Ultimate bought on 23 September 2011.) If only I had time to learn Linux - and did not have to use Micros**t for my work.

LiVe1AdJ1

Please start by posting your problem to a NEW thread of your own – that avoids confusion, and makes certain that you get best advice.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:32 PM
  • You are posting to a thread that is nearly a year old. Please do not resurrect old threads.

If you have a Activation or Validation related issue, please create your own thread for your own particular issue.

<Thread Locked>

Thank you,

Darin MS

Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:09 PM