Renewing woes RRS feed

• Question

• I got onecare automaticly with my new computer, without having to go through the subsription process. Now I have to renew it, and I am having a hard time. When I click on the renew button, I get that message 2002, "unable to complete request." So I go to support and find that I can renew an the billing site, but when I go I find no trace of the purported link. Then I heard that if I was using a credit card, my account would automaticly update. But as the subscription came with the computer, I have no billing method, and my account doesn't list any anyhow.

So then I try to find out how to subsribe with a credit card. Im led back to the billing page, where once again the purported link doesn't exist. I was also led to my windows live page, but theres no way to access, much less adjust, by billing method there either.

In summary, my request is blocked and all the places that should help me don't exist. Directions to a real place would be apreciated.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:28 AM

Answers

• Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

If the Subscription LiveID is not shown in OneCare or if you don't know the password used for the LiveID for your subscription, you will need to contact support who may be able to help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, look for a retail deal on OneCare (cheaper than purchasing online at full price) and when you have the retail copy in hand, uninstall and reinstall OneCare and activate with a new LiveID and the retail key *or* uninstall and reinstall OneCare when it expires and activate with a new LiveID and purchase online with a credit card.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:52 AM

All replies

• Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

If the Subscription LiveID is not shown in OneCare or if you don't know the password used for the LiveID for your subscription, you will need to contact support who may be able to help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, look for a retail deal on OneCare (cheaper than purchasing online at full price) and when you have the retail copy in hand, uninstall and reinstall OneCare and activate with a new LiveID and the retail key *or* uninstall and reinstall OneCare when it expires and activate with a new LiveID and purchase online with a credit card.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:52 AM
  • I went to the miccrosoft billing site. Like I said, there is no link to renew the subscription there.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Are you signing into the Billing site with the LiveID shown as your subscription ID in OneCare, Help - About...?

You won't see it by signing in with a different LiveID.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:22 AM
  • The id listed on the about onecare is a hotmail account, which the sign-in rejects.(I dont use hotmail, and as far as I know have only 1 windows live ID.)

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:31 AM
  • The LiveID shown in Help About is the *only* ID that you can use to renew. It *is* your subscription LiveID, that was used to create your subscription. If you do not know the password for that account (note that it does not need to be an active Hotmail account in order to be a LiveID - if you chose to create a new LiveID when you activated OneCare, it gave you a Hotmail LiveID), you will need to contact support.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:23 PM
  • So I have to find or remake the password for the hotmail account? I went to the site and it says I don't have hotmail.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:45 PM
  • When I try to renew my subsription, I'm told that my request is unable to be completed.When I go to the billing managment site, I can't find a renew link.Plus my listed subscription ID is a hotmail adress I had no idea existed, much less what the password is. Solutions for any of these problems appreciated.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:12 AM
  • You can open a Billing case with Billing support and ask them to help you reset the password. 

They will ask some details like your address and phone number, which are usually entered when you create the Windows Live ID.

You can also click on "forgot my password" on the sign-in page on any Windows Live ID page (hotmail / MSN / etc) and depending on what was set up as an "alternate email address" when the Live ID was created, you may be able to email yourself the password to the alternate email address.

Could it be possible that someone else in your household has activated OneCare without your knowledge?  Maybe they created the Windows Live ID during installation.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:54 AM
  •  Aarg wrote:
    So I have to find or remake the password for the hotmail account? I went to the site and it says I don't have hotmail.

If you see name@hotmail.com as your Subscription ID, then go to http://account.live.com to get the password reset. If that fails, open an email support case per the instructions in the FAQ to get help with the reset of the account. As I noted, if you created a new LiveID at initial activation, you got a Hotmail LiveID - that does not mean that you created a Hotmail account, though one was available to you.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:13 PM