Not able to update an un-activated WHS....Is this normal? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Microsoft not allow the updates for installs that have not been activated? From what I hear, some of the things I want to try out are only available in PP1 updated through windows update.

I tried an auto update and it locked me out saying I had to activate.. Anyone else have this happen?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:05 AM

Answers

• SlickRick H said:

Does Microsoft not allow the updates for installs that have not been activated? From what I hear, some of the things I want to try out are only available in PP1 updated through windows update.

I tried an auto update and it locked me out saying I had to activate.. Anyone else have this happen?

I recently installed my OEM license inside a VM (without activating) and the updates worked fine for me...
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:45 AM
  • kariya21 said:
    I recently installed my OEM license inside a VM (without activating) and the updates worked fine for me...

same here.
    47 updates en block (did not enter a product key during installation).

How fresh was your installation? If it has already run 30 days, then you indeed have to activate (independend from trial or OEM version) to continue running the system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:02 AM

All replies

• This does not surprise me.  You can always order the 120 day trial version. 
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:07 AM
  • SlickRick H said:

Does Microsoft not allow the updates for installs that have not been activated? From what I hear, some of the things I want to try out are only available in PP1 updated through windows update.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:45 AM
  • kariya21 said:

same here.
    47 updates en block (did not enter a product key during installation).

How fresh was your installation? If it has already run 30 days, then you indeed have to activate (independend from trial or OEM version) to continue running the system.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:02 AM
  • It was a brand new install.

I re-installed WHS last night after days of problems (had to use the orig DVD drive), and it must have been a bad install because the server will not start the backup service. When I try manually, it says it shuts off when not needed (or something similar). The problem this causes is that the connector software will not connect to the server and install on the client.

Not a good start to a prospective client.

Once I get everything working again, I'll try the updates again and see if it takes.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:22 PM
  • So you did install before - with product key? If I remember correctly WHS will autoactivate by default after installation. If the key was a trial key, this could have caused the installed version to be seen out of trial period (I am not sure, if the same trial key can be activated via Internet twice on the same hardware within the testing time frame).
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

So you did install before - with product key? If I remember correctly WHS will autoactivate by default after installation.

No, it doesn't do that.  I didn't activate my OEM installation for several months when I first purchased it (and I kept reinstalling WHS every 30 days).

Olaf Engelke said:

If the key was a trial key, this could have caused the installed version to be seen out of trial period (I am not sure, if the same trial key can be activated via Internet twice on the same hardware within the testing time frame).
    Olaf

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot activate a 120 day eval a second time at all.  I think that could lead to some "unethical" behavior otherwise...

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:48 AM