Project Server Link Items Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Primary Issue:   When attempting to link a document to a Risk, issue, or Task, the link items dialogue window does not launch.

Detailed steps at testing and troubleshooting issue:

In a document library within a project workspace site after clicking the dropdown and editing properties, then clicking Link Items the link items dialogue box does not appear.  I enabled the error notifications in the advanced IE8 configuration settings which allowed me to see the errors located in the attached screenshots.  I have tried multiple project sites, as well as creating brand new document libraries and uploading new word, and excel files to that library with no change in behavior.  I have found that if you open an existing or create a new risk, issue or task then you are able to access the link items dialogue window but if you attempt to access it from the documents edit properties screen you get the attached error.

Please advise.

Thank you!

Sue

Sue Gamache - Customer Care Manager -
    • Edited by Alexander.Burton Friday, May 6, 2011 11:46 AM Removing your contact details to save you from spambots :)
    Friday, May 6, 2011 10:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dear Sue Gamche,

This is common error of browser, to resolve this, in your IE goto Tools tab>>Internet Options>>Advance Tab>>Restore Advance Settings.

After restoring the advance setting close all open IE brawser then reopen it, then open your workspace and check this link again. now it will work.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Regards

Regards, Sujit - MSTC
    Friday, May 6, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi Sue,

Can you post the screenshots up somewhere like a skydrive.live.com so we can see the error message?

thanks,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, May 6, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I posted the print screens in a document stored here:

http://cid-5aa452e0cfa307d5.office.live.com/view.aspx/Documents/NeriLinkItemsError.docx

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Sue Gamache - Customer Care Manager - Office: 617.933.2953 x114 - Email: Sue.Gamache@tribridge.com
    Friday, May 6, 2011 11:56 AM
  • I tried the recommended and still not getting the dialogue window. It is almost certainly something specific to the Project server since we have tried three different clients, two with IE8 and one with IE7 and getting all the exact same results.
    Sue Gamache - Customer Care Manager - Office: 617.933.2953 x114 - Email: Sue.Gamache@tribridge.com
    Friday, May 6, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Have you made the site trusted in browser setting? if not do it and check it once again
    Regards, Sujit - MCTS
    Friday, May 6, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Sue:

Have you enabled compatibility views in IE? If not, give it a try.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:24 PM
  • A client of mine is experiencing the exact same issues. I have tried solutions posted in this topic to no avail:

• Enabled compatibility view in IE, did not fix
    • Ensured that site is listed as trusted, did not fix
    • Restored Advanced Settings in IE in the Advanced tab of Internet Options

The issue is one that has come and gone over the past few weeks without us making any changes to IE. The Link Items link works some days (by showing the pop-up to allow us to link to Project items) and other days it does not show up at all.

I have rebooted the project server to no avail.

There are no error messages being generated in the event log.

I have set security and cookie settings in IE to their lowest settings and still this does not allow the link window to appear.

Any other ideas as to what we can try to get this fixed?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:16 PM
  • I was told that this is a known issue; a limitation of 2007 that is resolved in 2010

This will not be fixed, as it is a shortcoming of the tool itself when too many unique permissions are present. The queue cannot process the sync.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Hi James

Were you able to solve this problem? I come across this problem when I try to use the "Link Items" link when uploading a document to a document library. I don't have this problem when adding a new Risk or Issue.

Thanks in advance.

Yoshi

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:13 PM