Unaible to join a computer to the domain (WHS) RRS feed

• Question

• My customer has five WinXP clients and one WHS.
    The WHS is used for file-/print-services and "Lexware Professional".

They are using local accounts without password and have to "login" once to get access to the "Lexware" database.
    Within Lexware everybody´s using the same account "supervisor".

I wanted to change that and did a "dcpromo".
    The installation of the Active Directory "firma" was finished without errors.

I defined exactly the same usernames and clients within "firma" OU Users/Computers.
    But if I try to join one of the five clients to the domain I receive the message "unable to join - check security settings".
    At the same time the computer object was deactivated.

For that action I used the "administrator" whichs belongs to the groups "Administratoren" and "Domain Admins".
    I also checked the policies but I can´t see any reason why it doesn´t work.

Please help..!
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:10 PM

All replies

• Per the EULA Windows Home Server may not be joined to a domain, or promoted to a domain controller. Joining it to a domain will trigger the SBCORE service, which will (after a period of time) cause your client's server to reboot periodically due to a license violation. Promoting it to a domain controller is also specifically prohibited in the EULA and will, as you have seen, break security rather thoroughly.

You may try to recover by performing a server reinstallation/recovery. See e.g. this FAQ post which, while the subject doesn't apply specifically to your situation, still walks through the basics. See also this FAQ post, which walks through recovering data in the event that server reinstallation is unavailable to you or doesn't restore access to the files in the server shares.

Bottom line: Windows Home Server is able to co-exist with a domain. It not capable of participating in any way in a domain, however. If domain capabilities are required, you should use Small Business Server (or Windows Server 2008) to provide them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:08 PM