ask for username and password to access the network every time you disconnect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All :

I have a NAS with Windows home server configured with users, so what I want is that every time a client that closed the resource shared , as a shared folder , the next time the user try to access a resource shared on the server , the server ask again for the username and a password of a configured user in the server

thanks in advance

Monday, June 9, 2014 9:50 PM

Answers

• It doesn't work like that! Windows will use the credentials of the user logged in to the client when connecting to the Server and if that user exists on WHS, it will connect automatically. If the user does not exist on WHS, then it will ask for a Username/Password. I assume that you are trying to set up some form of limited security? If so, I not sure how you can then get Windows to automatically forget credentials which have just been entered.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

usually the users want, that they are not prompted for passwords all day long. And now there is you and want it the other way around.

If the user name and the password on the workstation match an existing account on WHS, they will usually be automatically connected. The same happens, if their user name is not identical, they use user name and password and tick the checkbox to save credentials.

While this saving of credentials may not be supported by some home versions of operating systems and can be regulated via group policies on other versions, there is not much you can do against in a normal environment. Also a user could write a batch file for drive mapping including user name and password in plain text to work around such regulations.

The best way would be to protect the local accounts by having them to use undisclosed passwords.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Oscar Abuawad Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:04 AM

All replies

• It doesn't work like that! Windows will use the credentials of the user logged in to the client when connecting to the Server and if that user exists on WHS, it will connect automatically. If the user does not exist on WHS, then it will ask for a Username/Password. I assume that you are trying to set up some form of limited security? If so, I not sure how you can then get Windows to automatically forget credentials which have just been entered.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

usually the users want, that they are not prompted for passwords all day long. And now there is you and want it the other way around.

If the user name and the password on the workstation match an existing account on WHS, they will usually be automatically connected. The same happens, if their user name is not identical, they use user name and password and tick the checkbox to save credentials.

While this saving of credentials may not be supported by some home versions of operating systems and can be regulated via group policies on other versions, there is not much you can do against in a normal environment. Also a user could write a batch file for drive mapping including user name and password in plain text to work around such regulations.

The best way would be to protect the local accounts by having them to use undisclosed passwords.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Oscar Abuawad Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:04 AM
  • thanks All of you for the answers, here in my job will have to adapt

Any way, sorry for not responding earlier, I had family problems

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:44 PM