how to backup on a (removable) external hard disk for windows home server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Your online help recommends "to use multiple external hard disks and rotate the hard disks between onsite and offsite storage locations" But there is nothing that explains the procedures to set it up. I currrently have 1 internal disk used as a server backup, and desire to attach a usb drive and to also backup the server and safely remove it from location and still allow regular backups to take place on the interal drive.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• What you want to do isn't supported by the GUI, though you could set up the equivalent by hand, using the tools available on the server desktop. Using the automatic backup through the GUI, you can have only one back target.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 7, 2011 9:07 PM
  • I would recommend installing an internal drive bay into which you install the first Server backup disk and use that until it's full. Then replace it with the second and take the first off site for storage. As Ken says, you can not do what you are proposing via the Dashboard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 10:45 PM
  • What you want to do isn't supported by the GUI, though you could set up the equivalent by hand, using the tools available on the server desktop. Using the automatic backup through the GUI, you can have only one back target.

Which tools are you referring to, Windows Explorer?

The following appears to be what's expected atm:

1. Set up backup to online drive using Windows Server Backup

2. Run backup

3. Remove drive

4. Add new drive

5. Go back to 1, change the items you're backing up, backup to new destination.

Iterate all your data over numerous drives...

Personally, I preferred the old "server" backup in WHS v1 which simply copied shares to attached disks.  You didn't get to backup the server itself, but it was easier to copy and relocate data in the shares.  Nothing that Windows Explorer couldn't do, but it was handy and less error prone than copy/paste of files.

Anyway, I've been out of the forums for awhile.  Perhaps this has been rehashed many times.  I've recently "upgraded" to WHS 2011 and am missing some of the conveniences of v1.  Yes, I'm grumpy at having to manually copy my data to external drives. :)

(editing as I discover more about Windows Server Backup)
    • Edited by Chris H Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:30 AM
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:16 AM
  • What you describe is pretty much what the GUI supports, but it's not what the OP asked about. The OP wants to back up the same data automatically to two locations, both of which are online at the same time. To do that, he will have to hand craft a scheduled task that runs wbadmin with appropriate parameters.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:45 AM