Limited $$$$ no problem check this out ;-) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all

This post is for people just like me, I build my dream home server to control all my media, and files.
    I choose a WHS to be my server, but I have difficult to find excellent FREE 5 star software's compatible with whs and also I have a limited $$$ to buy all this software and the licenses that we need.
    Most them are to expensive, and a lot different opinions about the results, some people saying we don't need others saying we do need.
    So for over a month a risk my self to lose my files or getting bugs and etc but I finally get the test results:

Here is my list for a limited $$$ just like me.

1-Defragamation software you can use a Smart Defrag. you can download in here   
    Compare in here: http://www.iobit.com/Images/isdcompare.gif

Amazing software i did used Perfect disk 2008 $40.00 and Diskeeper2008 $69.00 and believe me or not smart defrag its faster and also better and also FREE of the 3 on my on opinion.

2-For the anti virus i did use Avast WHS $39.95 edition I find out the software was slowing down the system.
    I did try Clamwin you can download in here and i love it, trick the anti virus with some fake virus catch all ;-) also FREE

SO FAR NO BUGS NO CRASH NO NOTHING ONLY FUN!!!

Please if you can share your experiences with all of us post that's why I did, also please donate some $$$ to them to keep up the fantastic job they are performing.
    Thank you jay...

• Edited by BOPEUS Friday, November 7, 2008 4:14 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:13 AM

All replies

• As far as i can see, the Clam Antivirus is not made for WHS. I would be careful about using any antivirus that is not made for WHS. As i was informed in another thread here, it can give alot of headaches and also mess up files and the operation of Drive Emigrator. Any suggestions of any free antivirus that is made for WHs would be appreciated, im running Avast for now, but it slows down the server alot.. Im running a XP2400+ with 1.5Gb of RAM, runs very well and with nice performance without Avast, but once Avast is installed, it has a major drop in performance.....

Lars
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Lars,

As of yet, there are no free antivirus ones available yet that are specifically written for WHS.

Also, the smart de-frag, doesn't appear to work on WHS. It does work, but doesn't properly recognise mounted drives. Not that WHS really needs a de-frag, it doesn't appear to make much if any difference on my test server.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Is there any good reviews on the antivirus softwares available for WHS?  I tried Avast, but im not happy with it. I need an antivirus that takes up less resources, so a review would be great to see which i should try. 

Lars
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Skauber said:

Is there any good reviews on the antivirus softwares available for WHS?  I tried Avast, but im not happy with it. I need an antivirus that takes up less resources, so a review would be great to see which i should try. 

Lars

I don't know of any specifically.

I also use avast for WHS.  However, I have not seen any of the issues you described.  What version do you have installed on your server?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Avast version 4.7 WHS Edition, running on a trial.. I think i will try the other i have found, F-Secure, and i was told AVG made for Windows Server 2003 should work fine, but im not sure of that one yet..

Lars
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Just thought i would report back that F-Secure runs ALOT smoother on my WHS. The computer is way more responsive and performs alot better.. Only drawback with F-Secure is the pricetag.. Im also thinking that my Avast installation might have been bad in some way since its not reported by others to slow down theirs servers.. I might try it again once the trial period on the F-Secure runs out. 

Dont know if anyone else has been evaluating antiviruses for the WHS, but so far, the F-Secure seems to be the better choice for performance. Avast has its cool console for monitoring avast installlations on other clients, so for those who runs avast on their other computers it would be the natural choice for the server aswell.. And not to mention the pricetag, F-Secure will hurt your creditcard more or less twice as much as Avast...

Lars
    Friday, November 7, 2008 3:20 PM
  • The management tools are a big part of why I use avast! It was first to market, and it's not expensive, which are pluses, but the ability to force a scan of one or all active machines is very useful.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Hello Ken

I'm big fan of your posts what do you think about defrag?What soft do you use?.
    Thanks for the reply.

Friday, November 7, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Hello Skauber

So far for 60 days no problems on Clam...
    Avast on my system is toooooooo slow....
    2 xeon and 6 gig memo resources inst a problem....
    Thanks for the reply ;-)

Friday, November 7, 2008 4:21 PM
  • I don't use defragmenting tools. I find the arguments and statistics quoted by the vendors unconvincing in comparison to my own experience.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:02 PM