Add Windows Components RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all i want to add some windows  components into home server like ( remote destop over the internet ) but when i goto install it says please insert windows server 2003 for small businesses cd but i dont have 1 but i do have the windows home server install disk but that didnt work so i tryed to find a trial on the microsoft website but the link i found went to 2008 even tho it said 2003 lol
    I JW would vestion 2008 work?? if not were can i get 2003  cose i mdont want to pay for it because im only getting adons can anoy 1 help??
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    using any Windows components on Windows Home Server, which are not already installed or enabled, is not only unsupported and may eventually break Windows Home Server, but in many cases also violates against the printed EULA, which should be part of your package.
    This being said, using the normal Remote Desktop client works fine (you only need to forward port 3389 in the router and change the scope of Windows Firewall to allow connections from all networks), but the above statement includes this feature as well and is a violation as soon as it is not used solely for Administrative purposes. (Usually all interaction with WHS should happen via Console or the supplied Web interface.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Instead of FTP, try the Add-In Web Folders 4 WHS.
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    using any Windows components on Windows Home Server, which are not already installed or enabled, is not only unsupported and may eventually break Windows Home Server, but in many cases also violates against the printed EULA, which should be part of your package.
    This being said, using the normal Remote Desktop client works fine (you only need to forward port 3389 in the router and change the scope of Windows Firewall to allow connections from all networks), but the above statement includes this feature as well and is a violation as soon as it is not used solely for Administrative purposes. (Usually all interaction with WHS should happen via Console or the supplied Web interface.)
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:24 PM
  • The 1 i realy wanted is file Transer Protocal cose when i use a ftp server cliant it dont work 

BTW thx for the info about the remote desktop i was wondering how to do that for ages
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I would recommend against the installation of the FTP component of IIS. FTP is, by definition, an insecure protocol: user id and password are passed through unencrypted telnet. In addition, it is likely to be at least a technical violation of the EULA.

If I might ask, what is it that you're trying to do that you can't do through the built-in remote access web site?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Its just easyer that goin online and doin it
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Instead of FTP, try the Add-In Web Folders 4 WHS.
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:44 PM