none
DELL Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 64 bit does not have a sticker containing activation key

Question

• I have received my Dell Inspiron laptop, and Windows 7 64 bit was pre-installed. The laptop is only a week old, and it is not until now that I have noticed that there is no multi-colored sticker on the back or side of the laptop, containing an activation code. There is just one black sticker on the bottom with my service tag.

What do I do when I want to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit, without an activation key? I'm positive that there was no key included in the package, leaflets, manuals, nor is one present on the laptop itself.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hello VafPol123,

Recently laptop manufacturers have started putting the Certificate of Authenticity inside the battery compartment on many new laptops.

IMO it's a good idea, much less likely for the printed info to wear off.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Yes, I can confirm that. To add to Dan's list of good ideas for this move, it is fairly common for people to write down the key off of other peoples computers. IMHO, they need to come up with a way to protect desktop computers from theft of COA SLP keys.

• Marked as answer by VafPol123 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Remove the cover from the laptop's battery compartment and you should see the product key.

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Remove the cover from the laptop's battery compartment and you should see the product key.

Carey Frisch

If you still can't find the CoA, contact Dell for a replacment laptop or a refund.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:10 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello VafPol123,

Recently laptop manufacturers have started putting the Certificate of Authenticity inside the battery compartment on many new laptops.

IMO it's a good idea, much less likely for the printed info to wear off.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Hello Dan,

So you're saying that I can find this sticker inside the battery compartment? I will take a look tonight (gotta run now).

Can anyone else confirm that the COA is likely to be inside the battery compartment of this Dell Inspiron laptop? (one week old).

Kind regards,

VafPol

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Yes, I can confirm that. To add to Dan's list of good ideas for this move, it is fairly common for people to write down the key off of other peoples computers. IMHO, they need to come up with a way to protect desktop computers from theft of COA SLP keys.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:20 PM

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:44 PM

Carey Frisch

If you still can't find the CoA, contact Dell for a replacment laptop or a refund.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:10 PM
    Owner
  • Dan, Carey Frisch, and the rest of you, I just checked and the CoA is in fact located beneath the batteries. Thanks very much!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:15 PM