E: Drive, where did it go? RRS feed

• Question

•  

In simple words can anyone tell me where my E: drive went?

Screenshot
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/cbasstb95/misc/Server/untitled.png

When I installed the Server Demo CD all I had was my 80 GB Hard Drive available to play with and learn the software a little bit on and later hooked up the two 250 GB Hard Drives after disassembling my Windows XP desktop I was using for file storage a week later.

My E: drive was the WDC WD25000JB-00FUA0 and it Windows XP on it so I used the add button on the Console and it formated but now its gone and I would like to add all my video files from the F: Video Hard Drive (WDC WD25000JB-98GVA0) to the E: drive so I can add the F: Hard Drive to the server without loosing my files during the format.

I can see on the console that the E: Drive is added but how do I know how much room is left on it? or how can I add my video files just to the E: Hard Drive? It just gives me the total free space of 285 GB.

I'm 100% new to this server stuff and searching here didn't help me at all and I couldn't find anything in the help files for my problem. It took me a week just to figure out how to setup the correct secure networking with ports and stuff thats how green I am.

Please help and use layman terms, I don't know what all the short lingo means yet.

CAP Cbass

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:18 PM

Answers

• E-drive has been added to the storage pool so to speak.

To copy to this drive;

On your server desktop there's a shortcut named "shares". If you open it you will see a number of different shares. Anything you copy from your F-drive or whatever location to any of these shares will endup on your  E-drive.

If you want to create new shares please use Windows Home Server Console, Shares tab to do this.

Please do not use windows explorer to do this. It is OK to create new folders in EXISTING shares using windows explorer.

In your case also please don't copy more then 10GB at a time. Reason for this is not easy to explain in laymans terms; Basically the amount of free space on the D partition of your primary harddisk (your 80GB disk) determines the maximum amount of data you can copy at one time. Since 20 of the 80 GB is used for the system disk your D-partition will have maximum free space of 60 GB. Therefore it advised that you use the largest disk as the primary disk (install disk). More background on this can be found in:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

EDIT: Since maximum free space on D partition is currently already pretty low (17.6GB) please don't copy more then 10GB at the moment. In time free space on the D: partition should increase again, unless you have folder duplication enabled for one or more of your shares. For now the best thing to do would be to disable folder duplication for all shares, move the data from the "F-drive", add the F-drive to the storage pool and then enable duplication again for the shares.

Even better would be to reinstall using the 250 GB drive as the primary partition.

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:52 PM
  • The system drive, and in particular the free space on the data partition, determines how much data you can copy to your server at once. The total size of the storage pool determines how much data you can copy to your server overall. So if you have 3 x 1 TB drives, you can copy a bit less than 3 TB of data to your server, but you can do it only 1 TB at a time. The system drive is the last one used for file storage, if you have more than 3+ disks in your server.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 11:08 PM

All replies

• E-drive has been added to the storage pool so to speak.

To copy to this drive;

On your server desktop there's a shortcut named "shares". If you open it you will see a number of different shares. Anything you copy from your F-drive or whatever location to any of these shares will endup on your  E-drive.

If you want to create new shares please use Windows Home Server Console, Shares tab to do this.

Please do not use windows explorer to do this. It is OK to create new folders in EXISTING shares using windows explorer.

In your case also please don't copy more then 10GB at a time. Reason for this is not easy to explain in laymans terms; Basically the amount of free space on the D partition of your primary harddisk (your 80GB disk) determines the maximum amount of data you can copy at one time. Since 20 of the 80 GB is used for the system disk your D-partition will have maximum free space of 60 GB. Therefore it advised that you use the largest disk as the primary disk (install disk). More background on this can be found in:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

EDIT: Since maximum free space on D partition is currently already pretty low (17.6GB) please don't copy more then 10GB at the moment. In time free space on the D: partition should increase again, unless you have folder duplication enabled for one or more of your shares. For now the best thing to do would be to disable folder duplication for all shares, move the data from the "F-drive", add the F-drive to the storage pool and then enable duplication again for the shares.

Even better would be to reinstall using the 250 GB drive as the primary partition.

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:52 PM
  •  

So If I copy my video files over from F: Drive to "shares" it saves on E: Drive. Then whats the point of the D: Drive partition?   From reading the PDF link you gave it gives me the impression as if the main Hard Drive is the only Drive that actually stores my files and any other drive just keeps a backup or "shadow copy's".  If this is the case then am I only limited to 1TB of data as that the biggest Hard Drive can find to buy?

I understand why the larger Hard Drives should be used for the Software install from the other threads I have read.  This is just a temporary set up until I learn the software and save up for some 1TB Hard Drives.

CAP

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:24 PM
  • The system drive, and in particular the free space on the data partition, determines how much data you can copy to your server at once. The total size of the storage pool determines how much data you can copy to your server overall. So if you have 3 x 1 TB drives, you can copy a bit less than 3 TB of data to your server, but you can do it only 1 TB at a time. The system drive is the last one used for file storage, if you have more than 3+ disks in your server.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 11:08 PM
  •  

I think I understand it now.  Thank you Ken Warren and brubber for the help and making it easy to understand.

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:20 PM