I declined the 905474 EULA, so what happened to it? RRS feed

• Question

•  In April I initiated MY new update policy; NEVER INSTALL MS ANYTHING WITHOUT RESEARCHING IT FIRST.  Unfortunately, it was after I had already downloaded kb905474 (from MS Update, NOT AU) onto my machine, that I came to this decision.

So, I'm reading the EULA and to my horror (but, not to my surprise) I see  "PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE.This software is a pre-release version. It may not work the way a final version of the software will.", "SUPPORT SERVICES. Because this software is "as is," we may not provide support services for it.", but the most infuriating part was   "Limitation on and Exclusion of Remedies and Damages......
    It also applies even if Microsoft KNEW or should have known about the possibility of the damages"

Needless to say, I declined it. But I would like to know where it is now, what is it doing, & and is it possible to eradicate it, since I didn't actually install it?

In another post Dan at IT Associates says "To avoid the WGA Notification Tool, simply click decline on the EULA." to which gus19 replies "declining a BETA EULA in this case will stop me from receiving other updates" followed by Dan at IT Associates "If automatic updates is turned on, a computer will receive all updates classified by MS as critical security updates".

Is there any truth to what gus19 said, or was it just an assumption? I am NOT willing to turn on automatic updates on my *LEGITIMATE* OS, AND sometimes I want updates not classified as critical. Could someone please clear this up for me?

VJL 

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:47 AM

Answers

• TaurusE3,

With the new verison of WGA Notifications, no matter if automatic updates is on or not, you have to aggree to the EULA before it will continue.

Thanks,

Derrick

Thursday, July 6, 2006 7:52 PM

All replies

• TaurusE3,

With the new verison of WGA Notifications, no matter if automatic updates is on or not, you have to aggree to the EULA before it will continue.

Thanks,

Derrick

Thursday, July 6, 2006 7:52 PM
  •  Derrick MS wrote:

TaurusE3,

Thanks,

Derrick

I didn't have AU on before, I (I used to) download & install the malicious softare removal tool & wga (if any) updates first (in part, because long ago I read & accepted the EULA's for both, so I considered them a 'silent install' of sorts, that didn't require anything else from me), then download & install any other updates separately, from the Microsoft Update site. I glanced at the list of updates, selected 'windows malicious...' &  'windows genuine...', without reading anything else about them because those are the keywords I looked for to update first. Now, I double check the malicious softare removal tool KB# against my update history, which is now installed separately,too.

When I came back to start the next update, I was surprised to see an EULA box, &, irritatedly, I almost just accepted it. But I DON'T just blindly accept EULA's anymore, so I started reading it, & my irritation QUICKLY changed to uh, well, pretty much every other negative emotion that the PC community usually reserves for the likes of CoolWebSearch & that flock of birds. If it hadn't been a 'pre-release' (BETA), I probably would've let it install, as I hadn't yet started reading about problems with the latest patches in the MS forums for at least a week BEFORE I install them, which I now do!

Both the 'malicious' & 'genuine' updates downloaded, & 'malicious' installed, but 'notifications' didn't install because I declined the EULA, but it had already been DOWNLOADED  to my PC, right? I recently noticed instructions on removing, I think the euphamism was, 'the pilot version' (BETA), but I shouldn't have to edit my registry, because I DID NOT INSTALL it, but, because I DID DOWNLOAD it, it is still somewhere in my PC, isn't it?

Where is it, though? Almost EVERYTHING else I download from the net either allows me to choose or tells me where to DOWNLOAD it to, you know, a pre-install location, the place you find it so that you can install it, BEFORE it becomes part of your registry or anything more than just a file wasting space on your hard drive? Where does microsoft 'hold' a file until it 'uses' it, because I want to REMOVE 'unused, never gonna be used, not part of my registry' files from my computer!

I know I phrase things differently than most people, but someone just has to understand what I'm talking about, because I DON'T WANT BETA on MY computer, & I can't locate the stupid f*****g thing without help from someone. Isn't that what these type of forums are SUPPOSED to be for/about ? I mean, I'm not asking for help with anything deceptive &/or devious, such as misrepresenting BETA software as a critical OS update!!!               

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:00 PM
  • TaurusE3,

Downloaded but not installed updates are typically kept in the c:\windows\software distribution\download folder.

However, figuring out which one is which can be a chore because they are assigned a random file name.  Maybe someone in the Microsoft Community Forum for Windows Updates knows how to do it.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:09 PM