Vista & Office 2007 w/o COA RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought a Sony laptop on Ebay. The seller advertised that the laptop originally had Windows MEdia XP but upgraded to Windows Vista. He also advertized that Office 2007 Pro is included. Well when I received the laptop, the Vista CD by SOny came but missing COA and Office 2007 did not have CD or COA. He now claims that COA was damaged and lost and also lost the Office CD so he couldn't provide but since it is installed on laptop it is OK. I would like to know what I need to do with it. Is it really OK not to have COA attached on the machine. Or is there a way to replace those lost COAs?
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:17 AM

Answers

• Nethome,

Yes, seeing as how Office 2007 Enterprise itself costs about $550-600 per copy, getting a genuine license and a recent Sony laptop for $345 would have been a real score.  Without a genuine copy of Office, but assuming a genuine copy of Vista, the $345 to me at least still seems to be a reasonably-good-but-not-great price for a recent Sony laptop.

Well, the seller seems to be digging his own grave because if he says he never intended to give you the CDs for Office, then by definition his auction would have been for an item (preloaded software without CDs) prohibited by eBay.

Go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button in the upper right.

If your Office 2007 comes up as nongenuine, you'll be given an opportunity to explore the Genuine Office Offer that allows you to purchase several Office 2007 versions at a discounted price.

If Publisher 2007 is your gotta-have application and you have Office on other computers (did you know retail licenses for Office are allowed to be installed on up to two of your own computers, and if you have Office 2007 Home and Student you are allowed to install it on up to three computers in a noncommerical setting?), you can buy it by itself at many local and online retailers.  Generally it goes for about $145-165.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:22 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Thanks very much. It's been really helpful. I will explore some options when I come home n the evening. I really appreciate your help on the matter.

Jonathan

• Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:13 AM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Nethome,

It would help if you provided the auction number.

If the Vista DVD is from Sony, then it could be the "transition upgrade" that many computer manufacturers were promising when Vista was first being launched.  If the original owner purchased the laptop generally (exact dates varied by manufacturer) between Dec 1, 2006 and March 31, 2007, many manufactuers were including a coupon or other method for new owners to redeem so that they could order Vista from their computer manufacturer once it was released by Microsoft.  Some manufacturers had a free offer, and some charged anywhere from a nominal fee to full price for the Vista upgrade.

IF this could be the case with your Vista (and it's a strong possibility if the DVD has Sony printed on it), then you can verify the truthfulness of the seller's story by contacting Sony, and at the same time also ask Sony if a replacement CoA is available from them [probably not].

The laptop certainly should now have AT LEAST the genuine CoA for XP Media Center still affixed, and that CoA should have "Sony" or "Sony Corporation" printed on the second line under "XP Media Center Edition."

As to the Office, click on the Office button in the upper left, then Word Options in the lower right, then Resources then About.  What is the second group of characters in the Product ID (it's the only grouping with three characters/digits)?  If it's a 6xx number, you ended up with an unauthorized Volume License.  If it's "OEM" or any other three digit number besides a 6xx number, you should have received CDs and a CoA (OEM) or full retail package with same (retail) in order to have a legitimate license.

Depending upon what the seller promised in his/her auction, you may be within your rights to open up a "Significantly Not As Described" dispute with PayPal and/or eBay.  Hopefully you paid with PayPal (and then preferably with a credit card) and you have not yet submitted your eBay feedback to the seller for this transaction.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 2:50 PM
  • The auction number is Ebay was #290242847036. I paid with Paypal but not with credit card. The Sony media seems to be genuine and had Windows XP media COA from Sony on it. The Office 2007 has 707 in the product ID (sounds like it is not unauthorized per your advice). THe problem is that I'd like to keep the laptop because I really don't have time to return this and shop for another. I think I can get by without COA (I don't know what that really means). For that matter VISTA has the media, but I don't have Office media because I will probably have to re-install everything (the laptop has so much clutter from the previous use). Do you think it is OK to use it without COA if they are all found to be authentic? Also is it possible to obtain the Office media (this is an enterprise version) so I could reinstall the software? Much thanks for your help. I really appreciate.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Chances are virtually 100% that the installed copy of Microsoft Office Enterprise Edition 2007 is non-genuine.  You can check its authenticity by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx

and clicking on Validate Office.  If the result is non-genuine, you'll need to uninstall it and purchase a genuine "Full Version" edition of Microsoft Office 2007.

How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101678741033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Nethome,

This link at eBay http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html  specifically describes "Software loaded onto a hard drive that is not being sold with the original media (disks, manuals, etc)" as an example of a prohibitd item on eBay.

So, if you did want to file a dispute with eBay and/or PayPal, I think you have a good chance of winning it.  But you did write that you are pressed for time and don't have time to shop for another laptop.

You should follow Carey's advice and run the mgadiag utility and post its results here.  Office 2007 Enterprise is not sold to individuals and you were given it preloaded on an hard disk drive with no license materials and no CDs, so just by definition the installation you have is a nongenuine installation.  I agree with Carey that there's a very high chance that the mgadiag utility will ID the Office instalaltion as nongenuine, but even if it does not, you still don't have the license to run it so it needs to come off the computer.

You did not offer any more information regarding the Vista DVD from Sony.  I think I understand that you are saying that you received the CoA for XP Media Center affixed to the computer, and that you have what looks to be a DVD from Sony that installs Vista, but what do you have that installs XP Media Center?

Finally, I agree that when acquiring a used computer, the best course of action for the new owner is to run the manufacturer-supplied recovery process in order to do a fresh installation of the Operating System, removing the previous owner's leftovers.  Personally I think the seller was not too smart by not doing this himself before he sent the laptop to the buyer, especially in this climate of identity theft!

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:47 PM
  • The VIsta CD seems to be from Sony (I know because I have another Sony laptop). I don't have anything for Windows XP Media except the COA on the laptop but I thought the Sony has restore option on the HD like my other Sony laptop instead of actual CD). With Office, the guy advertised as giving 3 programs as bonus (2 games and Office 2007). I did receive the other 2 games along with original CDs, but the seller claims that he never advertised to give CD for office (so I am assuming he is keeping it for himself although later he claims he lost it--he also claims Vista COA was ripped off the laptop and lost it, which I find it little hard to believe). The laptop price was good and I thought I was getting a great deal along with Office 2007, but now it doesn't seem so great although laptop itself maybe a good deal. I really want to keep the laptop and hopefully find a way to use this Office (I am not much for other apps, but I like Publisher--otherwise I already have a couple of Standard versions). Paypal just notified me that I could return the laptop by 7/28 and get refund claim or lost the claim if not. What should I do? Again thanks very much for your input.

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Nethome,

Yes, seeing as how Office 2007 Enterprise itself costs about $550-600 per copy, getting a genuine license and a recent Sony laptop for $345 would have been a real score.  Without a genuine copy of Office, but assuming a genuine copy of Vista, the $345 to me at least still seems to be a reasonably-good-but-not-great price for a recent Sony laptop.

Well, the seller seems to be digging his own grave because if he says he never intended to give you the CDs for Office, then by definition his auction would have been for an item (preloaded software without CDs) prohibited by eBay.

Go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button in the upper right.

If your Office 2007 comes up as nongenuine, you'll be given an opportunity to explore the Genuine Office Offer that allows you to purchase several Office 2007 versions at a discounted price.

If Publisher 2007 is your gotta-have application and you have Office on other computers (did you know retail licenses for Office are allowed to be installed on up to two of your own computers, and if you have Office 2007 Home and Student you are allowed to install it on up to three computers in a noncommerical setting?), you can buy it by itself at many local and online retailers.  Generally it goes for about $145-165.

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Thanks very much. It's been really helpful. I will explore some options when I come home n the evening. I really appreciate your help on the matter.

Jonathan

• Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:13 AM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 6:37 PM