COA for downloaded Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• hi, I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from an Amazon seller.  After payment was received, they sent me a product key by Amazon "email" and an instruction to give them my real email address where I could download a copy of the DVD.

This is for a custom build PC with no Windows OS installed as yet.

If I phone the activation line and my copy of Windows is genuine, will Microsoft send me a COA sticker as I couldn't get one from the seller since this is just a download?

Thanks for any help and advice in this matter...

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:58 AM

Answers

• Microsoft will not send you any COA stickers because product keys are not provided seperately. They are only included with the software.  System Builder OEM packs are not sold as digital downloads. They are sold only as physical product. The COA sticker is in the pack. The only download Windows is retail and you cannot purchase a product key seperately there either. 

Also, OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copies are not for end users.  The System Builder license which governs use of OEM Windows forbids use by the purchaser.  The purchaser is only granted the right to install the software on a computer for sale to a customer.  Hence the name, OEM.  You are not an OEM.  You must be in the business of selling computers to customers to qualify.  You are a Do-It-Yourselfer.  Just building your own computer or building one for a family member or friend does not qualify you as a system builder as defined by Microsoft.  You must be a reseller.  Also, the SB license requires the purchaser to install the software with the OEM Preinstallation Kit.  I bet that the seller is not telling you how to get the OPK, is he?

OEM licensing FAQs are at http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx

Read the system builder license itself at http://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/2008_sb_licenses/fy08_sb_license_english.pdf

This reseller has no business selling this product even if it were legitimate, and I agree with George about its legitimacy.  Stay away.  If you have paid get a refund and puchase a retail copy of Windows.  All the heavily discounted copies of Windows 7 that I have seen being sold on the web are counterfeits.

Read some of the other threads in this forum and you will see the amount of counterfeiting going on on eBay and the Amazon Marketplace.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:19 PM
    Answerer
  • I think your problems are more than a COA. You may have purchased a not for resale MSDN key. To the best of my knowledge the only source of legitimate downloads is the Microsoft store and Digital River.

Form a Microsoft website:

When buying Microsoft software as a digital download, we recommend that you avoid auction sites and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing sites.  At the moment there are a limited number of sites where you can legally purchase digital downloads of Microsoft software. One example is the online Microsoft Store, where you can buy a wide variety of genuine software and hardware directly from Microsoft (in select markets). One other example is a student deal site operated by Microsoft (also in select markets), which allows students and staff at educational institutions to purchase genuine Microsoft software at special prices when eligibility requirements are met.

for verification:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:04 PM
    Answerer
  • "TangledFrog" wrote in message news:ef29a079-64bb-46b7-8636-f6c5a272862a...

hi, I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from an Amazon seller.  After payment was received, they sent me a product key by Amazon "email" and an instruction to give them my real email address where I could download a copy of the DVD.

If I phone the activation line and my copy of Windows is genuine, will Microsoft send me a COA sticker as I couldn't get one from the seller since this is just a download?

There is no such thing as a downloadable version of an OEM copy of Windows - you've been conned.
    Claim a refund NOW.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:32 PM

All replies

• I think your problems are more than a COA. You may have purchased a not for resale MSDN key. To the best of my knowledge the only source of legitimate downloads is the Microsoft store and Digital River.

Form a Microsoft website:

When buying Microsoft software as a digital download, we recommend that you avoid auction sites and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing sites.  At the moment there are a limited number of sites where you can legally purchase digital downloads of Microsoft software. One example is the online Microsoft Store, where you can buy a wide variety of genuine software and hardware directly from Microsoft (in select markets). One other example is a student deal site operated by Microsoft (also in select markets), which allows students and staff at educational institutions to purchase genuine Microsoft software at special prices when eligibility requirements are met.

for verification:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Microsoft will not send you any COA stickers because product keys are not provided seperately. They are only included with the software.  System Builder OEM packs are not sold as digital downloads. They are sold only as physical product. The COA sticker is in the pack. The only download Windows is retail and you cannot purchase a product key seperately there either. 

Also, OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copies are not for end users.  The System Builder license which governs use of OEM Windows forbids use by the purchaser.  The purchaser is only granted the right to install the software on a computer for sale to a customer.  Hence the name, OEM.  You are not an OEM.  You must be in the business of selling computers to customers to qualify.  You are a Do-It-Yourselfer.  Just building your own computer or building one for a family member or friend does not qualify you as a system builder as defined by Microsoft.  You must be a reseller.  Also, the SB license requires the purchaser to install the software with the OEM Preinstallation Kit.  I bet that the seller is not telling you how to get the OPK, is he?

OEM licensing FAQs are at http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx

Read the system builder license itself at http://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/2008_sb_licenses/fy08_sb_license_english.pdf

This reseller has no business selling this product even if it were legitimate, and I agree with George about its legitimacy.  Stay away.  If you have paid get a refund and puchase a retail copy of Windows.  All the heavily discounted copies of Windows 7 that I have seen being sold on the web are counterfeits.

Read some of the other threads in this forum and you will see the amount of counterfeiting going on on eBay and the Amazon Marketplace.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:19 PM
    Answerer
  • "TangledFrog" wrote in message news:ef29a079-64bb-46b7-8636-f6c5a272862a...

hi, I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from an Amazon seller.  After payment was received, they sent me a product key by Amazon "email" and an instruction to give them my real email address where I could download a copy of the DVD.

There is no such thing as a downloadable version of an OEM copy of Windows - you've been conned.
    Claim a refund NOW.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Unfortunately, the transction you describe is illegal.  Demand a full refund from the seller.  You can purchase genuine Microsoft Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Thanks for the info :)

I'm now looking elsewhere for a proper licensed copy...

tangledfrog.com Check us out!
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:25 PM